• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

North Carolina - Speeding 67mph in a 50mph zone

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NCSB82

I was pulled over today (in North Carolina) for going 67 mph in a 50 mph zone... 17 mph over the limit. When I saw the police officer come over the hill, I looked at my speedometer and I am 90% sure it read 62. I had a minor reservation when I thought that perhaps I misread it. I did not mention my observation of my speed to the officer. Another variable is that he pulled over another driver at the same time and said we were both going 67. Could this have messed with his reading? I know I have virtually no chance of fighting against him (his word vs. mine).

He gave me a citation requiring me to appear in court at the end of July and said I need to show up and will be required to take care of whatever the judge orders me to do, whether it be a fine, court costs, etc. The problem is, I have never had to appear in court for anything and am completely lost on what to do to prepare for the court appearance and if I can somehow lessen the charge or punishment.

My question is this: what are the ramifications of this? I am extremely afraid of having my license revoked, even if only for 30 days. The NC DMV handbook states that "Your driving privilege will be revoked for at least 30 days if you are convicted of: Driving any vehicle more than 15 miles per hour over the speed limit, if you are driving at a speed higher than 55 mph."

Is there any way to lessen the charge? I have heard that records only show citations from the last three years... if so, I have a clean record since my last speeding ticket was from another state in early 2008. I have seen where maybe I should talk to the district attorney. If so, what exactly should I say, when should I contact him/her, and what information should I give them? A lawyer could be helpful, but I have virtual zero money to spend and would it even be worth all the trouble?

Another issue I'm worried about is whether or not to bring up the speed discrepancy. If I told them I was only going 62, would this lead to more court dates, more fees, and possibly a bigger punishment if it doesn't work out in my favor? However, if I leave the charge as is (the charge of 67mph), I could risk losing my license for a while.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated from anybody with knowledge of these issues in North Carolina... they seem to have much stricter laws. I have no knowledge of legal language or court terms, so please use simple language if possible! Thank you so much.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

You could go visit the court during the traffic hearings to get the stress of not knowing what happens alleviated. Its not a torture chamber.

NCSB82

I have not used a PJC before. I've read a little bit about them, but am a little confused. Basically it lets you off the hook unless you get any ticket within 3 years? Are there any fines at all to pay and could my insurance still go up? Also, would I need to come back to the court later or could I just ask for one at the initial court date?

I'm thinking it may just be easier to hire a cheap traffic lawyer. Anybody know of any good (and very inexpensive) ones? I know that's probably not possible! Thanks again for the advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">