• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not my fault! Really! (CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice12345

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I sold my car to an Auto Company in August 2008 (and still have the transfer of title documents to prove it).

Just a few months ago, on April 14 2009, I randomly received a nasty letter from the State of California saying that I "failed to appear in court" regarding I citation I've never seen before, and that I needed to pay the bail amount or face the Wrath of God.

Figuring that I should stay safe now and ask questions later, I paid the citation amount in full 2 days later (April 16).

As it turned out, the Auto Company had sold my old car to someone else, but failed to (I'm guessing) submit the transfer of title paperwork to the DMV. So, whoever bought my old car is the person who actually got the citation, not me!

But now, as a result of this, I have a point on my driving record. I know I can get that cleared up by submitting form DL 207 to the DMV, however it says I need a document from the court that validates my case.

My question is, how do I do that? Do I need to set up an appointment to see a judge? If so, how? Can I do a Trial by Declaration in this case? Since I paid the ticket, does that take away any rights I had before paying?

I would really appreciate any help you can offer.

Thank you very much

Last edited:

CourtClerk

WHY would you pay a ticket you claim you know nothing about BEFORE getting information on that ticket? Surely, the notice didn't say pay the ticket in the next 30 minutes or else....

needadvice12345

Truth be told, I was on vacation when the letter came to my house. My daughter received the letter, freaked out, and paid it online, thinking she was doing something good.

Aside from criticizing the actions taken, do you have any advice on how I can proceed to fix this situation? Or maybe answers to any of the questions I posted before?

Thanks again

CourtClerk

The ticket is closed 60 days after payment. You can attempt to file a motion to reopen the case and see if the court will allow you to do so, but they don't have to.

Oh, and I have yet to criticsize the action you took. I simply asked a question. If you can't handle question asking, then this isn't the board for you. And tell your daughter not to open mail that doesn't belong to her.

needadvice12345

Your question had nothing to do with the questions I asked, plus it was irrelevant. The reason why I would pay a ticket without knowing what it was about has nothing to do with what I need to do to get the appropriate documents from the court that need to accompany the DMV's DL 207.

Therefore, the only thing your "question" could be directed towards is something you did not agree with (hence, criticism), which was further proven by you putting the word WHY in capital letters and boldface, along with your holier-than-thou tone. You weren't asking for clarification.

Yes, while indeed you asked a question, the intent of your question was to criticize an action you didn't agree with.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Your question had nothing to do with the questions I asked, plus it was irrelevant. The reason why I would pay a ticket without knowing what it was about has nothing to do with what I need to do to get the appropriate documents from the court that need to accompany the DMV's DL 207.

Therefore, the only thing your "question" could be directed towards is something you did not agree with (hence, criticism), which was further proven by you putting the word WHY in capital letters and boldface, along with your holier-than-thou tone. You weren't asking for clarification.

Yes, while indeed you asked a question, the intent of your question was to criticize an action you didn't agree with.
Then here is what you do.

Get a lawyer.

Bye.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">