• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not paid jaywalking ticket California - Consequences!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soniamil

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

In November 2012, during my university Exchange in Los Angeles, I got a ticket for jaywalking ($197) in Westwood. I left the US in December, and I didn't pay the ticket. I'm an Italian citizen and I do not have US documents, except for the SSN.

I would like to know what will be the consequence of this when I'll go back to the US (for travelling, with the ESTA VISA Waiver Program).

Can they stop me from entering at the airport? If yes, is there something I can do or someone I can contact from Italy in order to avoid this? Will I need to pay the ticket? If yes, how much should I pay approximately?
Are there any differences if I go to California or to some other State?

Thank you very much for your help!!!

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Just curious, what was your reason for not dealing with this in 2012? It sounds like you made no attempt to handle it.

soniamil

Just curious, what was your reason for not dealing with this in 2012? It sounds like you made no attempt to handle it.
I did try to handle it, I guarantee. I came back to Italy after a few days and I tried to pay the ticket online by an Italian debit card more than once, but they just blocked my money for some days and then gave it back to me. Indeed, I read somewhere that you need to have a US credit card in order to pay it online. Then I emailed the US Embassy in Italy but I got no answer. The paradox is that I even wanted to pay the fine but I wasn't able to do it!

Dave1952

If they wouldn't accept your debit card what else did you try? Surely your banking system can create bank checks in US funds. Note that bank checks are checks that are drawn on the bank's account, not your account.

CdwJava

Failing to appear on a traffic infraction should not have resulted in an arrest warrant. Even if it did, it may well be limited to the county of issuance and not entered into NCIC (a national database of warrants and lots of other stuff). I doubt that this will prevent you from entering the US at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">