• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Not stopping for a school bus" Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

need help 2011

NYC laws - moving traffic violation - Failed to stop - school bus.

I was not in any rush and trying to look for a parking spot. When I turned into the one way street there was a school bus parked to the side. It made the road smaller then it was. There was a car in front of me who slowed down, and I followed. The school bus confused me very much, there was no children getting on or off the yellow school bus and the stop sign arm was not out. The car in front of me slowed to a stop behind the bus and proceeded forwards. I waited until the car was about clear, because of the small space. And I rolled forwards, at this point the stop sign was still not out. I proceeded with caution and right when I was at the front of the bus about to press on my gas pedal I had to stop abruptly for two elderly gentlemen who appeared from in front of the bus. They shouted at me about policemen up ahead, but I didn't understand why since I wasn't doing anything wrong - and since it was NYC I thought they were just angry about me almost running them over. I looked ahead of me and the policemen were out of sight. There was traffic piling up behind me, and so because of the scare I rolled up instead of pressing on my gas petal, scared that more people might pop out in front of my car from behind cars. But as I rolled up the policemen, there were two on foot, beckoned me over. I calmly rolled over, not sure why I was being called over. One asked "do you know why you are being pulled over?" I answered "No, I don't know..." He replied "You don't know?" And pointed behind me. I turned my head and as my eyes laid on that red sign the officer tells me "you passed the school bus sign." And he added "you shouldn't be parking next to the school bus anyways." I was too shocked to talk. He asked for my license and registration and the rest is history.

Failing to stop for a school bus stop sign...Does it still count when it wasn't there when I had clearly passed it already? If I didn't stop for those two old gentlemen I am 100% sure I wouldn't have gotten this ticket. My eyes were on the side of the bus the majority of the time, reason why I almost ran over those two guys.

^ Not sure if I should tell that part to the judge...that my eyes were not on the road but on the side of the bus cause of fear... Need help.

- I do not have any solid evidence except for my memory of the event.
-This is my first offense ever, I do not have any prior offenses.

Court date is Sep 22, but I have to push it up because I returning to Japan the beginning of Sep.

justalayman

so, the bus wasn't displaying any lights when you passed it? It was just setting there off to the side of the road with absolutely no lights of any sort illuminated?

Handcoc

Sounds like you are guilty ... from what you posted "if not for the elderly"...

What actual statue is on your ticket? Is this an automatic 1 yr revocation?

The Occultist

Sounds like you are guilty ... from what you posted "if not for the elderly"...
Forgive me if I'm slow, but how does "if not for the elderly" mean that the arm was extended when the OP passed the bus? Please explain. Some of the conclusions you have drawn on this board are nothing short of amazing.

Handcoc

Forgive me if I'm slow, but how does "if not for the elderly" mean that the arm was extended when the OP passed the bus? Please explain. Some of the conclusions you have drawn on this board are nothing short of amazing.
Thanks..I am amazing ! Amazingly smart ... its clear that the stop arm was extended from my interpretation of the OP's post.

You can interpret the posting as you see fit. But I think I am correct in my assessment.

And the OP received a ticket ... so the cop certainly thought so too.

The OP should go to court to see if she can plead this down to another infraction.

justalayman

Handcoc;2828724]Thanks..I am amazing ! Amazingly smart ... its clear that the stop arm was extended from my interpretation of the OP's post.
I suggest you obtain a new interpreter. The OP specifically stated the arm was NOT extended until after he had passed it.

The school bus confused me very much, there was no children getting on or off the yellow school bus and the stop sign arm was not out.
Failing to stop for a school bus stop sign...Does it still count when it wasn't there when I had clearly passed it already?
One asked "do you know why you are being pulled over?" I answered "No, I don't know..." He replied "You don't know?" And pointed behind me. I turned my head and as my eyes laid on that red sign the officer tells me "you passed the school bus sign."

You can interpret the posting as you see fit. But I think I am correct in my assessment.
I'm betting you are running solo on this.

Handcoc

I suggest you obtain a new interpreter. The OP specifically stated the arm was NOT extended until after he had passed it.

I'm betting you are running solo on this.
Yes, I saw that statement & it conflicted with other statements; hence, my own judgment determined that it was indeed extended.

She can go to court & post back the result of the trial. This will determine if I am correct or not (I mean, it will confirm I was correct). If she does not take my excellent advice to come to a plea agreement pre-trial.

Last edited:

justalayman

Yes, I saw that statement & it conflicted with other statements; hence, my own judgment determined that it was indeed extended.

She can go to court & post back the result of the trial. This will determine if I am correct or not (I mean, it will confirm I was correct). If she does not take my excellent advice to come to a plea agreement pre-trial.
here is what the OP claimed happened:

as s/he pulled past the bus, the stop sign was not extended. When s/he reached the front of the bus, a couple geezers walked in front of OP's car causing OP to stop. Subsequently the cop directed the OP to pull over. When asked why OP was stopped, OP was unaware of the stop sign being extended until the officer pointed it out.

Not sure you you can read anything else into the OP's statement. It is quite clear to anybody with at least half a brain.

Oh, never mind. I think I figured out your problem.

Handcoc

OP was unaware of the stop sign being extended until the officer pointed it out.
You proved my point. Ignorance is no excuse. Seems like my 1/2 brain is more functional than others full brains.

Ever eaten brains...yummy. Tastes like chicken, but brainier. (stolen line)

justalayman

You proved my point. Ignorance is no excuse. Seems like my 1/2 brain is more functional than others full brains.

Ever eaten brains...yummy. Tastes like chicken, but brainier. (stolen line)
Yes, I have, with scrambled eggs. Not my favorite meal.

and it appears the remaining 1/2 brain of yours seems to be having problems as well. You appear to be delusional with thinking you are correct in any way.

Handcoc

Yes, I have, with scrambled eggs. Not my favorite meal.

and it appears the remaining 1/2 brain of yours seems to be having problems as well. You appear to be delusional with thinking you are correct in any way.
Yea, me and the cop who gave her a ticket. And the judge who will find her guilty.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
First of all, forget about the stop sign - in New York State that is NOT required equipment for a school bus and in and of itself means nothing. The only thing that counts is the flashing red lights at the top of the bus body, front and rear. Required equipment for school buses is described in the Vehicle and Traffic Law and stop signs are not there.

Where did this occur? You stand a good chance of winning, as the testimony required of the officer is very specific and detailed. Especially when it comes to describing the color of the bus - many officers get this wrong unless they do this type of enforcement often.

You need to clearly explain what happened to the judge. If the overhead lights were not flashing red when you cleared the back of the bus then no stop is required. Sounds like perhaps the officer did not have a good perspective from which to observe what happened.

need help 2011

Um.

Yes, when I passed the sign it was not out.
the flashing red lights at the top of the bus body, front and rear.
No, the lights were flashing yellow when I approached the bus and passed the back of the bus.
Where did this occur?
This happened in NYC in queens.
Sounds like perhaps the officer did not have a good perspective from which to observe what happened.
I thought so too when I kept thinking about it. >I know for a fact I didn't park beside the bus, so when he mentioned to me about why I parked beside the bus I was really confused. He didn't really give me a good chance to answer, I don't think I answered that at all, but thinking of it I probably would have stated "I almost ran two people over" if I wasn't so stunned that I was getting a ticket. [[But then again that might not be a good reply...with "ran" "over" "two people" in the same sentence...]]
It's the first ticket I've ever gotten for moving violation, it was and still is quite shocking to me... And I would be so screwed if I get the points in so many ways...

+
+Can I ask for a deposition[their notes], from the officer I'd be fighting against, to see their stand point of the incident before trail? [Their notes to see what I'm fighting against.] If I can, do I call the court for it or should I visit in person? Would there be paperwork I need to file? [I feel like there would.]

I am most likely going to have to do a trail by mail before the date. I do not like having to worry about this case while I am abroad, meaning postponing it until after january 2012. This case is already giving me sleepless nights. :(

If worse comes to worse I'd have to go to court when I get back.

a plea agreement pre-trial.
-What plea agreement pre-trail? What is this? Is it the mail in trail that I'm going to attempt?

Last edited:

justalayman

need help 2011;2851278]Yes, when I passed the sign it was not out.
No, the lights were flashing yellow when I approached the bus and passed the back of the bus.
This happened in NYC in queens.

sorry but once you stopped after the red lights or sign was displayed, you must remain stopped. The yellow lights are a warning the red lights and sign are about to be displayed. You should have been aware of that and acted accordingly. When you came around the corner and saw the yellow lights on a stopped bus, you should not have passed it at that time but I believe it was not technically illegal. The problem was that you did come to a stop apparently while the reds were displayed and that is why you will lose.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
sorry but once you stopped after the red lights or sign was displayed, you must remain stopped.
The sign means nothing - it is not required equipment in New York State. They do not make a school bus a school bus. I will use them as icing on the cake during my testimony, but alone they mean nothing. I think all school buses should have them and they should be made a legal requirement, but as of right now they aren't.

The yellow lights are a warning the red lights and sign are about to be displayed.
I have seen many drivers use the yellow lights for other apparent reasons. I don't think that argument would hold up in the TVB on it's own.

I believe it was not technically illegal. The problem was that you did come to a stop apparently while the reds were displayed and that is why you will lose.
If the red lights were activated AFTER he passed the rear of the bus then he would have no way to see them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">