• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not in U.S. to Fight Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nathomas83

I received a speeding ticket in Georgiana, AL (Butler County) for driving 75 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. My court appearance date is set for 3/13/2014.
The information on the ticket is incorrect describing the location, which is why I would like to fight the ticket. The area where I received the ticket had a 65 MPH speed limit. The officer indicated a completely different area on the ticket, which had a 55 MPH zone.
I just relocated to Japan (2 weeks ago) and will not be able to appear in court in March in Alabama. My husband is military and we just got relocated. The ticket is $225 and the service fee to pay online is $22. I would pay if I feel I violated, but the information is incorrect!
Are there other options to fight this ticket or get it reduced? PLEASE HELP!!!

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I received a speeding ticket in Georgiana, AL (Butler County) for driving 75 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. My court appearance date is set for 3/13/2014.
The information on the ticket is incorrect describing the location, which is why I would like to fight the ticket. The area where I received the ticket had a 65 MPH speed limit. The officer indicated a completely different area on the ticket, which had a 55 MPH zone.
I just relocated to Japan (2 weeks ago) and will not be able to appear in court in March in Alabama. My husband is military and we just got relocated. The ticket is $225 and the service fee to pay online is $22. I would pay if I feel I violated, but the information is incorrect!
75 in a 65 is still speeding. :cool:

It would cost you more in attorney's fees to fight this than simply paying the ticket and taking the points.

OHRoadwarrior

He was relocated. You elected to ignore your court appearance and travel with him. Your option appears to be pay it. Hopefully it does not require an in court appearance.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you don't pay it, and if you don't show, you will find that a warrant will be issued for your arrest and your driver's license will be suspended. If your husband is required to have a background check done (and his car is the one you were driving or they also look at you) that could cause him problems in the future. You don't get to ignore tickets. PAY IT.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
If you don't pay it, and if you don't show, you will find that a warrant will be issued for your arrest and your driver's license will be suspended. If your husband is required to have a background check done (and his car is the one you were driving or they also look at you) that could cause him problems in the future. You don't get to ignore tickets. PAY IT.
And the state won't notify you that you have a suspended license. You'll be driving, LEO will pull you over and boom! Your license goes out the window never to return. Then you have to go pay the original fine/costs. THEN you have to drive to Montgomery and pay the state to reinstate your license. The auto insurance company will know about it and cancel the auto insurance. So you get the fun of straightening out that mess, too.

Oh, and even if you NEVER return to Alabama, OP, you won't be able to get a license in any other state because of the status of your Alabama license. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I love how she throws in that her husband is in the military as though THAT should be a reason for her to be a scofflaw and not have to take care of her legal business. :rolleyes:

nathomas83

I love how she throws in that her husband is in the military as though THAT should be a reason for her to be a scofflaw and not have to take care of her legal business. :rolleyes:
Maybe some of you got the message misconstrued! I simply DO NOT have a problem to pay the ticket...and not trying to escape paying. I take care of all my legal matters. However, I would like to pay for the CORRECT ticket!! If I was still in the U.S., I would appear in court to state the information on the ticket is incorrect. My question was HOW to fight this ticket to get the information corrected if I am not able to appear in court.
Nevertheless, thanks for the "advice"...:rolleyes:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Maybe some of you got the message misconstrued! I simply DO NOT have a problem to pay the ticket...and not trying to escape paying. I take care of all my legal matters. However, I would like to pay for the CORRECT ticket!! If I was still in the U.S., I would appear in court to state the information on the ticket is incorrect. My question was HOW to fight this ticket to get the information corrected if I am not able to appear in court.
Then pay an attorney $1500 to appear for a $200 ticket (and hope it works). Or pay the ticket and stew about it for a while. :cool:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Oh but you do have a problem with paying it. If you didn't, YOU WOULD PAY IT. You haven't. Instead you left the country and now are whining that you can't come back and go to court. And in order to get sympathy, you throw in the fact that your husband is in the military. As if that somehow changes YOUR actions in being a scofflaw. Your method of fighting is to fly back over and go to the court date. Of course there may be more than one. So attend them all. Or you can pay the ticket. And you can roll your eyes all you want -- it doesn't change the fact that you seem to expect to get out of this because you are married to a military member. If you didn't think it mattered, you wouldn't have said it.

Ladyback1

you were still speeding. Do you know if the 10 MPH difference you state from what the officer states, makes a difference in fines?
You can also take online traffic school.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
you were still speeding. Do you know if the 10 MPH difference you state from what the officer states, makes a difference in fines?
You can also take online traffic school.
Does Alabama offer an online traffic school? Or traffic school at all?

Not to my knowledge. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">