• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notice to Appear

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LoriRich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a Notice To Appear for making a left hand turn during hours when I was not allowed to do so (4-6 p.m.).
What should I expect when I appear? Is, Notice to Appear basically a ticket?
Will I have to go to traffic school? I got a moving violation ticket more than three years ago. Other than that I have no violations.
Thanks.

CdwJava

I received a Notice To Appear for making a left hand turn during hours when I was not allowed to do so (4-6 p.m.).
What was the specific code section you were charged with violating?

What should I expect when I appear?
You will make a plea and then set a trial date if you plead "not guilty".

Is, Notice to Appear basically a ticket?
Yes. That is what a "ticket" is.

Will I have to go to traffic school?
You will not HAVE to, but you might choose to do so if you are otherwise eligible.

- Carl

Hey There

Information is served .The ball is in your court.

LoriRich

In CA. a driver has the right to Discovery. This means that the driver can make a written request for a copy of the officer's notes(usually on the back of the ticket), a copy of the video if one was made, and other information the officer plans to use at trial. A form to do this is found on Help! I Got A Ticket! website through Google. Another source for this 1 page form is in a book published by NOLO which is likelly available through a local library. Both sources will help you undertand better what to exspect in court from the time the ticket is issued through appeal. Once the form is filled out by the cited driver, copies need to be mailed to the D.A. and to the citing officer by a friend who gives the driver a proof of service .
There is also the option of filing a Trail by Written Declaration.
A form can be obtained from a court clerk with instructions TR200 and a second form to submit a trial by declaration--TR205. These forms can also be downloaded by Googling
Trial by Declaration or Judicial Council Forms
If the judge rules against the driver,the driver can request a new trial if done within 20 days. The driver can also request a different judge.
Speeding Ticket--Fighting or Plea Bargaining although geared towards a speeding ticket explains a driver's basic rights, and what to exspect in court.
Observing a session of traffic court is helpful on what to exspect at trial.
A cited driver always has the right to enter a not guilty plea and insist that a violation of the vehicle code be proved in court or the case dismissed.
A Courtesy Notice isn't mandatory, but is often sent out which gives the amount of bail (if the driver wants to pay it) and if traffic school is an option .
It is important to appear in court on or before the date that is on the Notice to Appear and enter a plea at arraignment.
A later time to appear in court at arraignment can be had by a simple phone call to a court clerk.

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">