• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Notification of Presence in Recorders Court - DeKalb County, GA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ASR21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

I received a speeding ticket in DeKalb County, GA. I am having a lawyer represent me in court. The court does not have him on file for representing me (I live in Florida, as I was visiting family in Georgia when I received the ticket). Do I have to notify the court in advance or can I be penalized for not being there even with him being there for me? My lawyer says he has submitted notice of him being there, but the court has no record of it (when I call, they are very rude and dismissive, and suggest I talk to him). Recorders Court is notorious for gross accounting errors, so the most likely explanation is that they haven't processed his notice.

Here's a comment from the Recorders Court Website:

3.2 Entry of Appearance and Pleadings
No attorney shall appear in that capacity before this court until the attorney has entered an appearance by filing a signed entry of appearance form or by filing a signed pleading. An entry of appearance and all pleadings shall state:

* the style and number of the case;
* the identity of the party for whom the appearance is made; and
* the name, assigned state bar number, and current office address and telephone number of the attorney.

The filing of any pleading shall contain the information required by this paragraph and shall constitute an appearance by the person(s) signing such pleading, unless otherwise specified by the court.

Any attorney who has been admitted to practice in this state but who fails to maintain active membership in good standing in the State Bar of Georgia and who makes or files any appearance or pleading in this court of this county while not in good standing shall be subject to the contempt powers of the court.

Within forty-eight hours after being retained, an attorney shall mail to the court and the prosecuting official where appropriate the entry of appearance in the pending matter. Failure to timely file shall not prohibit the appearance and representation by said counsel.

----

Do I have anything to worry about regarding me being considered not there (i.e., do I need to notify them some other way), or will my lawyer simply being present when they call my name be sufficient? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">