• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY: Driving with a learner's permit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Adamn

I've been a great driver for the past year and a half.

I was recently pulled over for having a "loose front license plate," which is crooked by about 15 degrees. It was Monday morning at 1:30 AM, with a licensed driver in the passenger's seat, who was 23. I am currently 21.

I was harassed by a police officer who continued to question me, pointing to a fruit soda Goya bottle and claiming alcohol was in it, ending with a full search of my vehicle.

Unfortunately, I do not have a full license, not as a result of suspension, but due to lack of a license. I was charged with something along the lines of an improperly attached front license plate, and driving without a license.

First and foremost, what are the ramifications of the "driving without a license" charge? If I plead guilty, I am aware of the $75 - $300 fine. Are there any other faults applied?

Secondarily, if I plead not guilty, this having been my first offense for anything, and assuming I have the court date pushed back far enough so as that I do have my license at that point, can I get the charges dropped?

Tertiarily, what would be the ramifications of getting a second ticket for driving without a license?

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

- Adam

You Are Guilty

I've been a great driver for the past year and a half.

I was recently pulled over for having a "loose front license plate," which is crooked by about 15 degrees. It was Monday morning at 1:30 AM, with a licensed driver in the passenger's seat, who was 23. I am currently 21.

I was harassed by a police officer who continued to question me, pointing to a fruit soda Goya bottle and claiming alcohol was in it, ending with a full search of my vehicle.

Unfortunately, I do not have a full license, not as a result of suspension, but due to lack of a license. I was charged with something along the lines of an improperly attached front license plate, and driving without a license.

First and foremost, what are the ramifications of the "driving without a license" charge? If I plead guilty, I am aware of the $75 - $300 fine. Are there any other faults applied?
Please post the number(s) of the statute(s) on the ticket(s) you received.
Secondarily, if I plead not guilty, this having been my first offense for anything, and assuming I have the court date pushed back far enough so as that I do have my license at that point, can I get the charges dropped?
Dropped? Very unlikely. Reduce the potential penalties? Probably.
Tertiarily, what would be the ramifications of getting a second ticket for driving without a license?
Now, why would you need to know something like this? You're not knowingly driving without a valid license, are you?

Adamn

The number of the infraction is a VTL 509.

I'd post the license plate one, but that's irrelevant for all intents.

You Are Guilty

The number of the infraction is a VTL 509.
As you noted, fine = $75 to $300, and/or up to 15 days in jail (rare for a first offense; don't count on it if you get caught again). You'll also be on the hook for "court costs and fees", which range from about $55 up to $1,000+, depending on how long/complicated your case is and how long it takes.
11. A violation of any provision of this section shall be punishable
by a fine of not less than seventy-five nor more than three hundred
dollars, or by imprisonment for not more than fifteen days, or by both
such fine and imprisonment except, if the violation consists of failure
to renew a license which was valid within sixty days, the fine shall be
not more than forty dollars, and except that a violation of subdivision
seven or eight of this section shall be punishable by a fine of not more
than seventy-five dollars.
Then there are the DMV penalties:
- If you do not obey the restrictions for junior drivers, you can receive a fine of $300 or less and mandatory surcharges of $50. After a hearing, the DMV can suspend or revoke your learner permit or driver license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">