• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY points question (NJ license) please advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chojna

What is the name of your state?NJ

I was recently issued a ticket for 82mph in a 65mph zone in NY State on 87 North (Thruway). I was pulled over by a NYS Trooper -he was sitting on the grass between two sides of highway. I didn't see the trooper until he turns the lights to go after me (it was at night -9:30 PM). He said he clocked me at 82 miles per hour and I told him that I thought I was doing like 75- any way I was fallowing the traffic and all the cars in my lane are more or less going at the same speed-for some reason he pick me. :(
He proceeded to write me the ticket for 82mph. This is my first ticket in 5 years ,any way the date on the ticket its wrong: I was stopped last weekend - 4/8/2005 and the date of the offence on the ticket is 4/13/2005 is that matter? What is the best way for me to get this ticket reduced ? I'm willing to pay more for the penalty but I don't want any points on my license.
I’m living in New Jersey so I’m assuming I will get only 2 points – is that correct? ??????
If I pay more $ (extra 10$) for the ticket and if I receive a refund for (10$ from DMV) and newer cash that check the DMV will newer close the case and I will newer get the points? Is that truth??????

lwpat

If I pay more $ (extra 10$) for the ticket and if I receive a refund for (10$ from DMV) and newer cash that check the DMV will newer close the case and I will newer get the points? Is that truth??????

Absolutely. I have a drawer full of refund checks and nothing has ever gone on my record. Just hope my wife doesn't find them and deposit in the bank.

NOT.

qcxlvr1

lwpat said:
Absolutely. I have a drawer full of refund checks and nothing has ever gone on my record. Just hope my wife doesn't find them and deposit in the bank.

NOT.
LOL :D

New Jersey residents receive 2 points for out of state offenses. You can try and have it reduced, but either way, its still going to be regarded as an out of state offense.

chojna

qcxlvr1 said:
LOL :D

New Jersey residents receive 2 points for out of state offenses. You can try and have it reduced, but either way, its still going to be regarded as an out of state offense.

To reduce it I have to go to the court (it’s so far )…do I have to take the public defender ? or not ? Dose this little trick with extra $ really works?

qcxlvr1

chojna said:
To reduce it I have to go to the court (it’s so far )…do I have to take the public defender ? or not ? Dose this little trick with extra $ really works?
What do you mean public defender? Do you mean prosecutor? Yes, you speak to the prosecutor for a possible reduction. No, you are not entitled to a public defender for traffic violations unless they are misdemeanor grade or above.

The trick with the extra money DOES NOT WORK. I have no idea where it ever came from, but it makes me laugh so hard everytime I see/hear someone suggest it. For some reason, people are under a mistaken impression that a fine has to be paid before a conviction can attach. That is not correct. Try this in New York (and many other states), and you will not only receive the conviction on your driver abstract, but you will receive a letter from the court demanding the remainder of the money. If you don't pay it, they'll eventually suspend you for failure to pay fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">