• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY state moving violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYSquestion

What is the name of your state? NY

hi. i am a 22 yr old student and received a ticket which i will not be able to pay. i am not a resident of ny state and have never gotten a ticket in the state before. the court date is in mid-april.
someone mentioned that there is an alternative available in NY for first tickets.("first off" or something like that) Is this true?

are there any alternatives to simply paying the ticket?

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

NYSquestion said:
What is the name of your state? NY

hi.
Hi.
NYSquestion said:
i am a 22 yr old student and received a ticket which i will not be able to pay.
This is not starting off well for you, huh?
NYSquestion said:
i am not a resident of ny state and have never gotten a ticket in the state before.
Congrats!
NYSquestion said:
the court date is april 13.
A very lucky date!
NYSquestion said:
someone mentioned that there is an alternative available in NY for first tickets.("first off" or something like that) Is this true?
Not even remotely.
NYSquestion said:
Simply not paying the ticket?

NYSquestion

Thanks. So helpful.
I understand that I am at fault; I am not arguing that I am innocent. I was asking if NY state offered any alternatives for youth or first time tickets, since I cannot afford the ticket.

Last edited:

snostar

NYSquestion said:
Of course, show up for the court date, the fine will likely be reduced or contest the ticket. Or don't pay and don't show up, it's no big deal all NY will do is issue a warrant. :rolleyes:

qcxlvr1

NYSquestion said:
I am planning on showing up.
I am looking for something useful to ask the judge.
Well what did you receive a summons for and what is the fine? The VTL prescribes a range of fines for each offense that judges have the ability to tailor accordingly.

You Are Guilty

NYSquestion said:
Thanks. So helpful.
I understand that I am at fault; I am not arguing that I am innocent. I was asking if NY state offered any alternatives for youth or first time tickets, since I cannot afford the ticket.
Hmm, reading comprehension is not your strong suit, huh? I direct your attention to my original response:

You Are Guilty said:
Originally Posted by NYSquestion
[highlight]Not even remotely.[/highlight]
As noted, you can always plead poverty and hope they reduce your ticket to the legal minimum (and court costs, and administrative fees, and state surcharge), or you can pay in full or you can not pay at all. That's pretty much the extent of your choices. There is no "first-time free" program.

qcxlvr1

Yeah, what everyone else said is valid information. There is no "first time" or "withhold adjudication" or anything like that in New York.

You have provided no further information about the details about the ticket (violation, jurisdiction, etc), so I can't be too specific on further advice.

Some judges will reduce the fines as others indicated, and/or some judges grant TTP (time to pay)--IE you pay in one month or something. But you need to request it and have a reason.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">