• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY State Speeding Ticket + Safety Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wadriver2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ticket in New York State, license from WA state

I was in NY driving upstate with friends (I stay in WA), and was ticketed for speeding on a highway. Now, I was indeed going quite fast climbing an upgrade without noticing; I noticed I was going too fast when I reached the top and immediately started slowing down, and on going a little ahead also noticed a cop with lights flashing in the right rear. I slowed down further, and when the cop came behind me, moved to the right lane and then to the rightmost lane.

The cop however gave me 2 tickets: one for 1180D ('Speed in Zone') at 99 mph in a 65 mph zone and another for 1128D ('Drove across hazard marking'). I didn't admit to anything but said I may have been going fast, that I didn't realize it. I asked him about the 2nd ticket and he says I drove across the end of the striped portion that was before the rightmost lane due to an incoming lane (Exit, rather Entry). I pointed out that I was trying to pull over ASAP, and that I had given the right signal and noted that no car was incoming (and I really hadn't noticed I had driven on the striped portion). Moreover, the 2nd ticket says in the supporting deposition 'Subject drove across hazard marking while traveling 99 mph and trying to pull over'. The 99 mph here is definitely very incorrect, I had already slowed down a lot; and I couldn't be 'trying to pull over' and still be going ata 99 mph, could I?

I stay in WA< so I cannot appear for trial etc in NY, so I will need to send a plea by mail; I am fine pleading guilty to the speeding ticket and asking for mitigation, but what can I do about the 2nd ticket? Considering I can't appear in court, what is my best bet? The officer asked me if it was a rented car, saw my license was WA, even said that I 'obviously wouldnt want to come back a minth later to appear in court', and I feel he gave me a raw deal on the 2nd ticket. Is there anything at all I can do - to try and get the second one dismissed/reduced? How does such a violation affect my record/insurance?

Thanks for any help.

wadriver2009

I am especially concerned with the 2nd ticket above because I have a prior ticket here in WA ( 9 over limit on a highway). So this will be my 2nd and 3rd offense then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">