• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NY traffic ticket help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LI302003

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi,

My wife recently got a speeding ticket and it's her first speeding ticket (I haven't got a ticket in my life either) so I'm seeking for some advice.

She was told to drive at 80MPH in 50 MPH zone from the officer. It happend in Bronx, NY and description of traffice infraction says Speed in zone Radar. The ticket has fine schedule on the back and according to it the fine is $90 + $50 surcharge. However it also says fine doubled for speeding in school or work zones.

First of all, I am not clear of what "speed in zone Raoar" stands for. Is it school zone or construction zone?

If so, fine doubled means double the total (90+50) * 2 = 280 or double the fine only 90*2 + 50 = 230.

If it's speeding violation in school or construction zone, are there any consequences like jail sentence? Ticket doesn't say she has to appear in person, just fine.

It sounds like not intelligent questions, but for me it's quite confusing.

Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Curt581

LI302003 said:
She was told to drive at 80MPH in 50 MPH zone from the officer.
Why would the officer tell her to drive 80 mph in a 50 zone?
First of all, I am not clear of what "speed in zone Raoar" stands for. Is it school zone or construction zone?
Speed zone in Radar probably means she was speeding in an area where the limit is enforced by radar.

It is not a construction or school zone. If it were, the citation would say so. The scedule on the back is general information for anyone who gets cited, and is not just specific to your case.
If it's speeding violation in school or construction zone, are there any consequences like jail sentence?
No, just an enhanced fine amount.

qcxlvr1

Basically what Curt stated. Speed in Zone is the section of VTL 1180 that we issue under for speed over a posted limit in an area not under a 55 MPH limit. The "radar" designation indicates confirmation of the visually estimated speed by a radar device.

I am guessing this was issued by a New York City Highway officer? Look at the bottom of the ticket. There will be a box that says "command code" next to the officers name. What is in the command code box? If it starts with 4 it is Highway Patrol.

I suggest retaining one of the very high priced VTL attorneys so that your wife can keep her license. At 30 MPH over, the ALJ in TVB does have the authority to issue a suspension in addition to a fine and points. Your wife will be convicted if she does not obtain a good VTL attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">