• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC cell phone + driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

onetime

What is the name of your state? Queens, New York
Infraction: talking on cell phone while driving

subject: Am I not guilty? What would be the process for proving my innocence?

I was driving while talking on my cell phone in queens new york. I admitted my guilt and ignorance of the law. I was given a ticket.

I am a resident in internal medicine and was talking to another resident in internal medicine (I called her Cell Phone) at the time of the violation. Pursuant to New York Law VAT: Article 33, § 1225-c: " 3. Subdivision two of this section shall not apply to (a) the use of a mobile telephone for the sole purpose of communicating with any of the following regarding an emergency situation: an emergency response operator; a hospital, physician's office or health clinic."

Therefore my primary question is: am I not guilty? And how do I go about showing this? What proof is required on my part (ie. I am a doctor, I was tallking to another doctor)?

Secondary questions include:
1) the officer listed my middle name as my first name on the ticket- is this a problem?
2) Is the process for pleading Not Guilty a long process which requires much time and energy? If I submit a not guilty plea notice (on the back of the ticket), do I write a letter explaining my situation as well?

Thank you.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state? Queens, New York
Infraction: talking on cell phone while driving

subject: Am I not guilty? What would be the process for proving my innocence?

I was driving while talking on my cell phone in queens new york. I admitted my guilt and ignorance of the law. I was given a ticket.

I am a resident in internal medicine and was talking to another resident in internal medicine (I called her Cell Phone) at the time of the violation. Pursuant to New York Law VAT: Article 33, § 1225-c: " 3. Subdivision two of this section shall not apply to (a) the use of a mobile telephone for the sole purpose of communicating with any of the following regarding an emergency situation: an emergency response operator; a hospital, physician's office or health clinic."

Therefore my primary question is: am I not guilty? And how do I go about showing this? What proof is required on my part (ie. I am a doctor, I was tallking to another doctor)?
Interesting. Arguably, at the minimum, you'd need to prove you were engaged in the call to respond to an "emergency situation". While in theory, your own sworn testimony about that fact should suffice, in traffic law, it never hurts to have 2x the proof you might otherwise need. Perhaps a signed and notarized affidavit from the other physician? Be creative.
Secondary questions include:
1) the officer listed my middle name as my first name on the ticket- is this a problem?
Afraid not. Your name is not an element of the offense.
2) Is the process for pleading Not Guilty a long process which requires much time and energy? If I submit a not guilty plea notice (on the back of the ticket), do I write a letter explaining my situation as well?
"It depends." One issue is where you received the ticket, or more specifically, where you need to appear to contest it. If its the Whitestone location, it's fairly quick and you usually won't spend a whole day there. (Jamaica on the other hand...)

If you plead not guilty, you need to comply with the instructions on the back of the citation. If it's the standard yellow combo parking/moving violation one, I don't think it requires you to send in your evidence with your plea, (you'd get a date to appear/submit it), but double check it as NYS has changed its ticket format recently and my last ones were before the switch.
Thank you.
Welcome.

onetime

cell phone law = no points

Dear Sir/Madam:

Thank you for your timely reply. In my further research of the topic and weighing the risks, benefits, and alternatives: I now plan on pleading guilty and paying the $90 fine. Reviewing the NYS DMV policies, this infraction does not result in accumulation of driver points (which could have been transferred to my home state)

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#cell

Best,
"Onetime"

AlanShore

Thank you for your timely reply. In my further research of the topic and weighing the risks, benefits, and alternatives: I now plan on pleading guilty and paying the $90 fine. Reviewing the NYS DMV policies, this infraction does not result in accumulation of driver points (which could have been transferred to my home state)
Smart. I was going to tell you it was not worth the time or effort you would have spent trying to fight it.

Just Blue

Dear Sir/Madam:

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#cell

Best,
"Onetime"
Wow! I have officially now seen everything!! :cool:

You Are Guilty

I would have anticipated y'all to have encouraged me to fight it?!
Can you fight it? Sure. I spelled out the minimum you'd need in my earlier response.

Would you definately win if you did fight it? Not even remotely. I'd say if you had a sympathetic ALJ, maybe, at best, you'd have a 50-50 shot. (And if you had an ALJ that hated doctors, make that a 10% shot :))

Is your time worth more than $15/hour? (Approx. 6 hours preparing for, and attending hearing to contest ticket vs. $90 fine). Only you can answer that one. Myself, I stopped fighting most of my tickets once I started to earn more money spending the time working than I would contesting. (Now, I only do it when I have a moral problem with them and I'm in the courthouse next door on a paying case, lol).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">