• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC - no left turn - unsigned ticket - wrong state on car reg/plates - I did turn lef

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pizzman

STATE = NY
CITY = MANHATTAN
LOCATION = 79TH AND RIVERSIDE AFTER EXITING BOAT BASIN IN CONGESTED GRIDLOCK

I got my first ever ticket in 20 years of driving this morning and am unsure how to proceed rationally.

The cop never had me sign the ticket, and he got the state wrong on the auto registration/plates, indicating his lack of being observant or attentive to details which should indicate that while I did turn left when illegal, it was a defensive move to avoid a dangerous situation. It was clearly a staked out spot because the cop pulled over three of us who did the same thing at the same time for the same reason roughly... robably his 200th ticket of the am there.

situation: I am driving out of the 79th street boat basin where also two exit ramps from the west side highway come out, and north of 79th the highway was a parking lot so tond of people were exiting into the traffic flow, many making illegal turns to get in front of us. after the west side highway off ramps is an intersection with riverside drive, a 2-way street. no left turn is clearly marked obviously four times. I was aware of it. as we approached the intersection in bumper to bumper traffic, I saw room for one car in the next block in front of us so I went through the intersection. as I did, I was cut off by someone from the right lane who jumped in front of me forcing me toward the left. the light changed with me now behind him, and traffic approached with me still blocking traffic. two cars before me had turned left so I did then as well seeing no way to go forward out of the intersection, no oncoming traffic at all, and lots of cars heading from my right toward me as the light changed. so I turned left to get out of their way illegally by very safely, and then two others followed, and we were all ticketed by an officer standing in the middle of our lane waiting for us... many people did that to avoid congestion on the highway, but I wanted to go into town and was foorced to the north instead.

Advice?

Pizzman said:
and he got the state wrong on the auto registration/plates, indicating his lack of being observant or attentive to details ...
Ahhh yes, his lack of details. He must have not seen you commit the infraction you JUST ADMITTED TO.......... get over it.

Pizzman

just asking whether a sane judge would actually convict given the circumstances. i'd do the same thing again in the same situation as it was the rational course of action. in my hometown upstate noone ever gets convicted of the charged offense but usually get something much more minor at worst case scenario since all judges know these cops are looking for easy money not to enforce what is right... I feel I acted appropriately despite the law and would assume a rational judge would agree... the legal choice is not always the right choice and the cop in this case did not consider circumstances that would be obvious if he were observant!

Pizzman said:
i'd do the same thing again in the same situation as it was the rational course of action.
I think the officer would say the same. There are a lot of laws with which I don't agree...doesn't mean I can go around breaking them and expect to get away with it.

Moron.

You Are Guilty

Pizzman said:
just asking whether a sane judge would actually convict given the circumstances. i'd do the same thing again in the same situation as it was the rational course of action. in my hometown upstate noone ever gets convicted of the charged offense but usually get something much more minor at worst case scenario since all judges know these cops are looking for easy money not to enforce what is right... I feel I acted appropriately despite the law and would assume a rational judge would agree... the legal choice is not always the right choice and the cop in this case did not consider circumstances that would be obvious if he were observant!
Please be sure to come back and tell us the results after you get your hearing.

Pugilist

I printed out a map of the area, and I see what you mean.

I am in CA and here we have

21462. The driver of any vehicle, the person in charge of any
animal, any pedestrian, and the motorman of any streetcar shall obey
the instructions of any official traffic signal applicable to him and
placed as provided by law, unless otherwise directed by a police or
traffic officer or when it is necessary for the purpose of avoiding a
collision or in case of other emergency, subject to the exemptions
granted by Section 21055.

which I call the Necessity Defense.

In NY you probably have something similar. I would go to court with a series of diagrams showing the judge how you proceeded simultaneously with the guy from the right lane who changed lanes in the intersection and stole your space on the other side. Bringing the diagrams is important, as the judge, if he is inclined to let you go, will realize that the other defendants watching from the audience need to see that something was different, and superior, about your presentation. He will not want to raise expectations, among the other defendants, that they too will be let off simply because they made a persuasive verbal presentation (but without diagrams or exhibits).

I would also look and see if NY has Trial by Declaration (aka Deposition), which would allow you to fight the ticket by mail.

Pug

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">