• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Red light camera ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crozep

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I just received a ticket in the mail for running a red light from one of those automated cameras set up at an intersection. In the pictures documenting that my auto passed the red light by .43 seconds is also a picture of a NY City bus also passing the light late.

The traffic laws should be enforced equally, thus if the city bus does not have to pay the $50 fine, should I have to pay? I want to challenge paying this ticket because the evidence NYC provided that my auto passed the light late also proves that a city bus also did. I don't think the city of New York will enforce the law equally in this case. Is this a good approach in fighting this ticket?

Roo

"but he did it too" isn't a defense. You may be able to fight the ticket using other means. I'm sure the interwebs are full of sites that can help you explore what those other means might be.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Furthermore, you really don't know WHAT actions were taken against the driver of the bus :rolleyes:

I_Got_Banned

A $50 fine for a red light violation? Its a minimum of $340 anywhere in California!

Now, although I agree completely with both responses you have received... If,, however, you think you can beat it, more power to you!

Maestro64

The basic defense against automatic red light tickets is they can not prove who in fact was driving, however, most places have made these ticket civil offense which the burden of proof is far less, they have to show you were more likely than not to be the driver. Since these tend to be civil matter they set the system to fight these ticket to be so time consuming and burdensome on you that it is usually not worth fighting them.

The other tactic is to ignore the ticket since many times they can never prove you were actually severed the ticket. You will win on principle not doubt about it, and most likely won the battle, however, you loss the war since the local government will always trump you since they have the ability to have your license suspended for failure to pay. That is far more costly then the ticket.

If you search fighting photo red light tickets their is number of ways to fight these and win, most likely the cost will be greater then $50 to you, so it might be worth paying.

One of the few times I have to agree with the above, you have no proof the bus driver was not in fact ticketed. Then again he may have begun entering the intersection before it turned red, and that is not a ticket in most states only entering after it turned red.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">