• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Seat Belt ticket issued to the passenger

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

murkho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC, NY

Got pulled over while my wife was with me. I was driving and she was in the front passenger seat. She was not wearing her seat belt. Officer asked for her license and issued her a summon. I am a bit surprised as he didn't even bother asking for my license/registration/insurance. Is there anything techncally wrong here that she can contest. I have never heard of a passenger getting issued a summon.

How much is the court fee in NYC?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NYC, NY

Got pulled over while my wife was with me. I was driving and she was in the front passenger seat. She was not wearing her seat belt. Officer asked for her license and issued her a summon. I am a bit surprised as he didn't even bother asking for my license/registration/insurance. Is there anything techncally wrong here that she can contest. I have never heard of a passenger getting issued a summon.

How much is the court fee in NYC?
Sounds like you were lucky to not receive a citation in addition to your wife's.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The driver is never responsible for a front seat passenger (adult) being unbelted and would never (i.e. SHOULD never) get a summons for it.

What the officer did is perfectly legit. It isn't common but it happens often enough.

There are no court costs in New York for traffic tickets. The fine is printed right on the back of the ticket she received. Should be a grand total of $120 which includes fine and surcharge. It is no points.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">