• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Driver Responsibility Assessments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimlewis57

What is the name of your state? NY

I was given a ticket for speeding in Suffolk county on 11/29/04. Because I thought it wasn't worth fighting -- despite fact it was a speed trap clearly set up to help Suffolk county settle its financial problems -- I plead guilty by mail and paid the $40 fine plus a $100 administrative fee.

NOW, I find out they enacted the Driver Responsibility Act as of 11/08/04, and that they are now charging me an additional $300 over three years for this one violation. (I have had NO other violations in my entire life, but because of this one ticket I am now being grouped with repeat DWI, Drug, and Hit and run offenders.)

If I had known about this additional charge at the time I paid my original traffic ticket, I would have certainly fought it. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO AT THIS POINT TO AVOID THIS "STEALTH" ASSESSMENT?????

HELP!!!!

qcxlvr1

Anyone who receives 6 or more points from tickets issued after 11/18/04 will receive the Driver Responsibility Act status.

You should have plead not guilty to the ticket. Contact a lawyer to see if he/she can vacate your plea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">