• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nys drivers responsibility assessment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ekearney22

I'm From NY , I Recently Just Paid Numerous Fines In Different Courts To Get This Back. I Had Most Reduced Through Da , So They Sent Me My License The Hard Copy Along With A Drivers Assessment Fee Of 450$ stating I Revived 6 Points InTheLast 18 Months. First I Have Not Had My License That Long And It Has Been 5 Years Sense I've Had It. These Tickets Range From 4 Years Old To Ten! And I've Just Plead To These And Paid Allot Of Money. They Are Different Tickets From Different Dates, Not Sure On Dates I Have To Look Into It More But Sense I Plead To Them At Same Time I Get Hit With 450$ Fine Even Tho They Were Couple Years Apart?? Please Help Me with Understanding Thus And If It Is Correct.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm From NY , I Recently Just Paid Numerous Fines In Different Courts To Get This Back. I Had Most Reduced Through Da , So They Sent Me My License The Hard Copy Along With A Drivers Assessment Fee Of 450$ stating I Revived 6 Points InTheLast 18 Months. First I Have Not Had My License That Long And It Has Been 5 Years Sense I've Had It. These Tickets Range From 4 Years Old To Ten! And I've Just Plead To These And Paid Allot Of Money. They Are Different Tickets From Different Dates, Not Sure On Dates I Have To Look Into It More But Sense I Plead To Them At Same Time I Get Hit With 450$ Fine Even Tho They Were Couple Years Apart?? Please Help Me with Understanding Thus And If It Is Correct.
The points are assessed when you are convicted. It sounds to me like you avoided paying these for many years and then paid them all at once. While this was a noble act and a good step in the right direction towards straightening your life up, you kind of screwed yourself. You will need to pay the $450

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The points are assessed when you are convicted.
No, Zig. What counts is the date of violation, not the date of conviction. Good attorneys in the Traffic Violation Bureau will try to delay and adjourn cases for as long as possible knowing that if they can make it past the 18 month mark (from the violation date) the points are then meaningless. Of course, if the licensee gets tickets for moving violations and gets convicted years later they would still face the assessment, suspension, etc. if they accumulated enough points within an 18 month period, even if it was years earlier.

The Driver Responsibility Assessment takes hold when one accumulates 6 points on one's driving record within an 18 month period and then it's $300. An additional $50 per point is added for every point above 6.

I have to admit I had a hard time understanding what the OP was explaining. Just want to point out that a license is not necessary to accumulate points on a driving record. If your license was suspended and you were driving you can certainly still get tickets and convictions which add points to your driving record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">