• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS: Got a speeding ticket in work zone, but I don't think the officer clock me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cw30000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I received my first ever speeding ticket (for over 10 years of driving) on I87 south today at Warrensburg, NY. The ticket say I was doing 77 mph on a 50 mph work zone (reduced from 65). I know for sure I was not doing 77 mph, I brake to moved to the right when I passed the lane merged sign. The driver that cut in front of me might be doing 77. Even on the 65 mph zone, I was cruising at 74 mph (shown on GPS).

The cop parked his car about 5 to 10 cones where the work zone begin. I don't believe he can clock me after I pass the work zone and I am able to do a full stop, pull to the right without passing his car. That's 77 (he claimed) to 0 in less than 10 cones. So I believe If he did clock me, it was before I have entered the zone. The car in front of me was also pull, which left me no more than 8 cones. However, the 3rd car that was right on my tail was let go. He was the reason I couldn't go slower.

The beginning of the work zone is on a left turn and on a downward slope.

I drive a minivan and my wife and 2 kids were in the van with me at the time.

What is upset me is the work is begin done is on the other side of the interstate. This is nothing but a trap for extra revenue for the town.

Since I live in NJ and Warrensburg is 4 hours away, I plan to hire an attorney to fight it.

What is my chance for winning this and have it drop completely? Or greatly reduce the fine?

Thanks in advanced.

Edit: I received a general traffic ticket and it did not say how much I was fined. Where can I find this information? It is a 1180F. Google does not reveal any link to me.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I received my first ever speeding ticket (for over 10 years of driving) on I87 south today at Warrensburg, NY. The ticket say I was doing 77 mph on a 50 mph work zone (reduced from 65). I know for sure I was not doing 77 mph, I brake to moved to the right when I passed the lane merged sign. The driver that cut in front of me might be doing 77. Even on the 65 mph zone, I was cruising at 74 mph (shown on GPS).
If you're sure you weren't doing 77 then you should be sure of how fast you WERE going - which was HOW fast?

So you admit to speeding elsewhere... okay.

The cop parked his car about 5 to 10 cones where the work zone begin. I don't believe he can clock me after I pass the work zone and I am able to do a full stop, pull to the right without passing his car. That's 77 (he claimed) to 0 in less than 10 cones. So I believe If he did clock me, it was before I have entered the zone. The car in front of me was also pull, which left me no more than 8 cones. However, the 3rd car that was right on my tail was let go. He was the reason I couldn't go slower.
Nonsense. You can always go slower. Take your foot off the gas and slow down. You don't have to pass the trooper for him to measure your speed.
And he's a trooper, not cop. If you call troopers "cop" or "officer" they get mad. Just saying.

I drive a minivan and my wife and 2 kids were in the van with me at the time.
And? If you're trying to convince us that is why you don't speed it won't help - you already admitted you did.

What is upset me is the work is begin done is on the other side of the interstate. This is nothing but a trap for extra revenue for the town.
Another revenue whiner. For your information the town does not have any input regarding where the Thruway Authority sets up their work zones. Secondly, the town gets very little or NO revenue from a speeding ticket.

What is my chance for winning this and have it drop completely? Or greatly reduce the fine?
Having it dropped? Zero chance. "Greatly reduced" fine - so-so. Depends on the judge. If he/she has a thing for work zones don't count on it.

Edit: I received a general traffic ticket and it did not say how much I was fined. Where can I find this information? It is a 1180F. Google does not reveal any link to me.
27 over the limit is close to a $100 fine which is DOUBLED because of the work zone. That actually may be closer to $175 now.

PLUS 6 points on your NY driving record which then causes the Driver Responsibility Assessment to kick in. That's an additional $300 in fines. Payable at once or $100 a year for three years.

Add in the state surcharge and the total is about $600 minimum.

Expect to pay an attorney from $500 to $1000. And for that chances are you'll end up with a plea bargain and still have to pay at least $200 in fines.

And before you complain about NY - traffic fines are mild compared to NJ.

You Are Guilty

27 over the limit is close to a $100 fine which is DOUBLED because of the work zone. That actually may be closer to $175 now.

PLUS 6 points on your NY driving record which then causes the Driver Responsibility Assessment to kick in. That's an additional $300 in fines. Payable at once or $100 a year for three years.

Add in the state surcharge and the total is about $600 minimum.

Expect to pay an attorney from $500 to $1000. And for that chances are you'll end up with a plea bargain and still have to pay at least $200 in fines.
You neglected to also mention the increase in insurance premiums should they ever find out out this. Probably $600+ just there alone.
And before you complain about NY - traffic fines are mild compared to NJ.
True, but no points for NJ tickets :D

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
True, but no points for NJ tickets :D
No points in NJ for moving violations? Or is this another joke I don't get?

Points are very misunderstood and most people get hung up on points. Insurance companies have their own system of "points" for traffic tickets which may or may not at all correspond to DMV's.

You Are Guilty

No points in NJ for moving violations? Or is this another joke I don't get?

Points are very misunderstood and most people get hung up on points. Insurance companies have their own system of "points" for traffic tickets which may or may not at all correspond to DMV's.
Oh my, no. I only meant no NY-DMV points for NY licensed drivers who get convicted of moving violations in NJ. Insurance "points" are, as expected, another story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">