• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Speeding Plea Bargain

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jmassif

What is the name of your state? New York State

I got pulled over for doing 84 in a 55. I plead not guilty. I went to my initial conference (Nassau County), and they offered to reduce it to either tailgating, or 65 in a 55. The attorney wouldn't budge about keeping the points off my license (insuring a rate increase from my insurance company). He suggested defensive-driving school as a way of getting the points off my license.

The 65 in a 55 incurs fewer points than the tailgating infraction (3 vs. 4), but does anyone have any idea which will affect my insurance premiums more? I have one other violation (62 in a 55) from July 2002, so if anyone knows whether a 2nd speeding violation looks worse than a tailgating to an insurance company, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Jmassif said:
What is the name of your state? New York State

I got pulled over for doing 84 in a 55. I plead not guilty. I went to my initial conference (Nassau County), and they offered to reduce it to either tailgating, or 65 in a 55. The attorney wouldn't budge about keeping the points off my license (insuring a rate increase from my insurance company). He suggested defensive-driving school as a way of getting the points off my license.

The 65 in a 55 incurs fewer points than the tailgating infraction (3 vs. 4), but does anyone have any idea which will affect my insurance premiums more? I have one other violation (62 in a 55) from July 2002, so if anyone knows whether a 2nd speeding violation looks worse than a tailgating to an insurance company, I'd appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
They are equally bad and an indication of your complete lack of driving ability. Instead of trying to find a way to keep your premiums down, you could try NOT driving 83 in a 55. Are you trying to kill yourself or someone else???

Lecture over, take the violation with the least amount of points. You're going to be hitting your limit soon, so you need all the points room you can get.

Jmassif

Thanks, though I certainly wasn't tailgating, and the 84 is highly suspect to me since it would have meant I'd have rammed into the back of some slow-moving construction vehicles, which I didn't do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">