• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS Speeding Ticket - Incorrect Admission Of Guilt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rayjkraft

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I recently received a speeding ticket. The supporting deposition says, "You stated as follows: 'No I don't. Oh yes I was speeding. I'm not sure how fast I was going, I wasn't really paying attention.'"

What was actually said: Officer-"Do you know why I pulled you over" Me-"No Officer"
Officer- "Does speeding ring a bell." Me-"Maybe, I'm not sure how fast I was going." I played dumb, never clearly admitted. I never stated, "Yes I was speeding.":mad:

I know as an officer of the court his word is better than mine. Do I have a chance to fight this ticket in court? Is this a clear admission of guilt or am I presumed innocent until proven guilty. Well of course not, but I have researched a number of defenses, are they still valid even though the deposition says I stated those words? Should I not bother going to court with a solid defense, should I just mail in my ticket and plead guilty? Hope this isn't sealed... Shouldn't I only be screwed if I admit to speeding at the trial?

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You could challenge it in court. However, I suspect the officer has other evidence of your guilt so your alleged statements may not even be an issue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">