• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYS traffic violation #1120

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dualcitizen

New York State (NYC)

Got a ticket for "failure to keep to right side of roadway" (violation 1120). It's my first violation and I'll plead guilty. Two questions: 1. How do I know what the fine is? This violation is not listed on the back of the ticket. There's a category called "seat belt, cell phone, or most other violations, $40 + $60." Shall I assume that's it? 2. Was planning to pay via internet per ticket's (and officer's) instructions. Tried, but my ticket is not in system yet. I registered to get an email notification when the ticket is entered in the system. But it is approaching the 15-day window for responding to the ticket. Will I be penalized if the ticket isn't in the system yet? I'd rather not pay this thing until I know the officer actually entered it. Thanks.

Last edited:

The Occultist

You should remain proactive and stay in communication with the courts to keep yourself updated on the status of the ticket. The courts can also tell you how much you owe.

dualcitizen

how does one "stay in communication with the courts"? all I have is a ticket with a website and a mailing address.

You Are Guilty

I don't have time to double check at the moment, but that statute number looks suspiciously like a moving violation (i.e. you get points on your license for pleading/being found guilty). What was it you were doing at the time of the ticket? (ie driving or parked?)

dualcitizen

yes, moving violation. turned left into oncoming lane in space cadet moment.

believe it, occultist - there's no phone number. (who would speak to angry recipients of tickets all day?)

but back to the question - does anyone know if you get penalized for lateness if the violation hasn't been entered in the system yet?

The Occultist

but back to the question - does anyone know if you get penalized for lateness if the violation hasn't been entered in the system yet?
Go into the court and speak with a clerk on the matter. See if you can get some sort of documentation from them showing your responsibility on staying on top of that matter (my state does this, but am not sure on NY). If you make yourself an annoyance to the clerks, they will certainly remember you and thus you should have nothing to worry about as far as "lateness" is concerned.

Since you'll be in the court, see if they'll be willing to accept your payment even if the cite has not yet been entered into the system. Be sure to retain a receipt.

You Are Guilty

The list you're looking at with the fine amounts is for parking violations only. I don't think there's a moving violation fine list as the TVB is not the most helpful of places. If you want to reveal which borough you got ticketed in, I can probably dredge up a phone number for you to call.

In the meantime, you should be aware its a 3-pointer if you're found guilty:
NYS DMV - (Brochure) Traffic Violations Bureau: What To Do If You Receive a Traffic Ticket

rcdestroyer

the number for traffic violations is 518-474-0774 it takes roughly 2 or 3 weeks for traffic violation tickets to be imput into the system the is no penalty for not answering within the 15 days, but do answer the ticket. When the ticket is put into the system you'll get a letter (provided your address on your license is correct) saying when to appear.

dualcitizen

Just to respond to everyone:

- it happened in Brooklyn
- yes, I know it's a 3-point moving violation
- no, I'm not going to the courthouse to proactively pay and get points on my license!
- there IS a list of fines on the ticket for moving violations (speeding, red light, etc); mine isn't listed.

It's almost a month and the ticket still isn't in the system. As the cop was quite contrite and apologetic about giving me the ticket (esp. when he saw that I had no prior violations), I'm holding on to a glimmer of hope that he didn't turn it in. Or that something got entered incorrectly. A longshot, I know -- but i'm loathe to force the issue in case there's been an error in my favor. I have an email receipt showing that I asked to be contacted when the ticket enters the system. Hopefully, that'll suffice if I get nailed for exceeding the time limit.

Thanks everyone for responding!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">