• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

off duty cop ticket advice plz

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CaseyC6899

while driving in citrus county florida i was on a road behind a civilian vehicle doing 25 in a 40 and i passed him on a double yellow, he wrote down my tag. turns out he was an off duty police officer in his personal vehicle. the next day he ran the tag, called me up and told me he was going to write me a ticket for speeding, careless driving, and passing on a double yellow. what i want to know is if the off duty cop, while in his personal vehicle, is legally allowed to write me the ticket for something he witnessed while he was off duty. thnx

M

Mike101

And also quite common. If they had caught up with you they could have arrested you also.

C

CaseyC6899

he was off duty how could he have arrested me on the spot?

JETX

"he was off duty how could he have arrested me on the spot?"
Very easily. He could have detained you until an 'on duty' officer arrived and they would have transported you.

In fact, when an officer is sworn in (becomes an officer), he is charged with upholding the law 24/7.

And don't assume that only off-duty officers have this right.... have you not heard of a 'citizens arrest'??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">