• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Off Duty Officer Took a Picture of my license plate + more - citation in the mail?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

phatoriginal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Okay, so, I was coming home from my parents house and was pretty tired and, needless to say, not driving very nicely would be a good way to put it. I came up behind a car and came close but not right on them, they stayed in the left hand lane so I passed on the right and went on my way, above the posted sign limit of 55. They sped up as I tried to pass them but I eventually passed them and got to a traffic light about a mile down the road. I saw the car's owner pulling out a phone to take a picture of my license plate so I leaned out of my window and asked what they were doing. No profanity or anything, just hey what are you doing. The lady behind the wheel said she was an officer and I asked what I did and she proceeded to pull closer, turn on her high beams and take a picture of my license plate. At that point the light turned green and I went ahead and got over to the right hand lane and she drove by me slowly on the phone. My question is, am I going to get a bunch of citations in the mail for this? If so, what are they allowed to cite for and what is an off duty officers authority in this scenario if they do not pull you over at the time of the infraction. I was never asked to pull over but honestly probably would have in this situation as I was driving as noted above.

Any help would be great as I am driving myself crazy thinking about the worst possible outcome.

D~

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Okay, so, I was coming home from my parents house and was pretty tired and, needless to say, not driving very nicely would be a good way to put it. I came up behind a car and came close but not right on them, they stayed in the left hand lane so I passed on the right and went on my way, above the posted sign limit of 55. They sped up as I tried to pass them but I eventually passed them and got to a traffic light about a mile down the road. I saw the car's owner pulling out a phone to take a picture of my license plate so I leaned out of my window and asked what they were doing. No profanity or anything, just hey what are you doing. The lady behind the wheel said she was an officer and I asked what I did and she proceeded to pull closer, turn on her high beams and take a picture of my license plate. At that point the light turned green and I went ahead and got over to the right hand lane and she drove by me slowly on the phone. My question is, am I going to get a bunch of citations in the mail for this? If so, what are they allowed to cite for and what is an off duty officers authority in this scenario if they do not pull you over at the time of the infraction. I was never asked to pull over but honestly probably would have in this situation as I was driving as noted above.

Any help would be great as I am driving myself crazy thinking about the worst possible outcome.

D~
You broke at least two laws. It is possible you can be cited for that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">