• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer altered ticket after issuance - should we fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhmeiring

What is the name of your state? Kansas

My husband was pulled over on 135th Street, but issued a ticket with an address of 500 N Central.

He called the court today & asked where the 500 block of N Central was. He was informed that NO such location exists (Central runs east & west). The lady looked up his ticket & stated that it now states the location as 500 N 135th so the officer changed the info on the ticket afterwards.

Would like some opinions on if this is worth fighting...

TYRIS

dhmeiring said:
What is the name of your state? Kansas

My husband was pulled over on 135th Street, but issued a ticket with an address of 500 N Central.

He called the court today & asked where the 500 block of N Central was. He was informed that NO such location exists (Central runs east & west). The lady looked up his ticket & stated that it now states the location as 500 N 135th so the officer changed the info on the ticket afterwards.

Would like some opinions on if this is worth fighting...

-Doubtful if the citation was amended. Officers are allowed to amend citations, if it is done properly.

Tyris

JETX

dhmeiring said:
Would like some opinions on if this is worth
fighting...
If his only defense against the ticket is the address correction.... then he has no defense. The officer is not expected to be perfect.... and can make corrections to citations, reports, etc. as appropriate and warranted.

sukharev

fight!

Fight it, no matter what anyone else says.

Use all tactics listed on the websites (speed survey, judicial notice, etc.)

There was a case in which the wrong mile post was listed on citation, find that too. Request discovery of the amended ticket, make sure you see the final address. Then, in court, just use original address as a correct one after officer testified :)

JETX

sukharev said:
Fight it, no matter what anyone else says.

Use all tactics listed on the websites (speed survey, judicial notice, etc.)

There was a case in which the wrong mile post was listed on citation, find that too. Request discovery of the amended ticket, make sure you see the final address. Then, in court, just use original address as a correct one after officer testified :)
Another idiot.

sukharev

hmm... get this idiot out of here :)

Sorry, dhmeiring. :eek:

For what it's worth, I was trying to give an advice worth following up on. From what I read on this forum, all JETX does is piss on other people. I hope this is not an accepted practice to majority of contributors here, and if I was wrong, someone who knows more can correct me and give a better advice. Good luck with the ticket.

sukharev

back off!

JETX:

if you have nothing to say, don't say it. If you do feel like you can help, do that instead of being full of yourself and contaminating the forum with amusing :( comments.

JETX

sukharev said:
Let me rephrase: Are you an attorney who regularly defends or represents clients in speeding violation cases?
Rephrase all you want.... Considering the posts you have made in this thread.... I see no reason to answer your question.

I will suffice to say.. Contrary to your posts.... I DO know what I am talking about.

And if you were to walk into my office.... I would take your case (if you have the money)!! :D

Motherto6

OP ~ My husband was issued a citation for driving too slow (I know ~ but it was foggy). It was at the first of the year and the officer accidently put down the previous year. This would have meant that the ticket was over a year old. He caught his mistake though and came to our house to correct it on the original ticket. We all had a laugh about it and that my husband was driving too slow when most tickets he issued are for speeders. When my husband went to court to find out what his fine was the officer told the Judge that he wanted to not press charges because it was foggy and he realized he had been in too much of a hurry. The Judge agreed and dismissed the ticket. I say this because Police make mistakes, they are human. If your are decent with them they can be decent with you. If your husband is guilty, pay the ticket and stop trying to find a loophole to get out of it.

Motherto6

sukharey ~ JETX is on the money with legal advice, and perhaps is a little honery at times but that is what makes for good discourse. The fact is you just want to prove some one, anyone wrong to try and show someone, anyone you are right. Get thicker skin or move on.

sukharev

Motherto6 said:
sukharey ~ JETX is on the money with legal advice, and perhaps is a little honery at times but that is what makes for good discourse. The fact is you just want to prove some one, anyone wrong to try and show someone, anyone you are right. Get thicker skin or move on.
Nobody cares about my skin, including me. Original post is unfortunatly lost in this silly debate. I hope dhmeiring does fight the ticket, rather than giving up, and uses all techniques possible. Yes, they are technicalities, but I consider it completely unfair when you loose thousands of dollars because of a single mistake. As a matter of fact, 100% of drivers on I95 exceed speed limit every day, are they guilty too? And what about due process (standards of proof, presumption of innosense, etc.)?

With all due respect to senior members, this is an advice forum, and everybody who has an advice is entitled to give one. If you disagree, feel free to correct me, but insulting other people is actually prohibited by the forum terms: "You agree that you will NOT post any knowingly false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, or threatening message...In addition, you also agree to pay FreeAdvice $250 for each posting that violates the foregoing terms and conditions."

Let's see if JETX agrees to pay $250 for calling me an idiot ;)

sukharev

yea, I get it

From the bottom of this page: FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. Defence rests :)

Anyhow, it's been fun. You guys are hilareous in how seriously you take the LEGAL side of this. Most of us are just trying to get out of this stupid ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">