• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer changed speed ticket back to original

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpcxl2500

pulled over going 62 in a 45 by state trooper using radar. Officer said he would make it a 50 in a 45 to save on points and fines. Let's just say this person was not cordial about the whole incident and, although not rude, gave the officer silent treatment. After paying citation marked in box 34, received a letter saying owed much more. It is as if officer changed citation back to original speed.

Is this allowed? And what should this person do?

I'mTheFather

This person should declare his/her state of residence, as requested by the question that you deleted in the "Post a Question" box.

I'mTheFather

Okay, thanks.

You ought to just call the courthouse to ask why the fine on the ticket is different from what they're saying you owe. As to whether he can change it after the fact, I'd say no, but that won't help you until you know why there's a difference.

CdwJava

pulled over going 62 in a 45 by state trooper using radar. Officer said he would make it a 50 in a 45 to save on points and fines. Let's just say this person was not cordial about the whole incident and, although not rude, gave the officer silent treatment. After paying citation marked in box 34, received a letter saying owed much more. It is as if officer changed citation back to original speed.

Is this allowed? And what should this person do?
Before you assume the officer changed the citation, you need to do as I'mTheFather suggested and contact the court to ask why there appears to be a difference in the fine.

I should probably point out that attitude can go a loooooong way to mitigating the consequences of any police contact. If the officer is going to cut you a break, it's probably a good idea to at least be cordial and grateful rather than grumpy and silent. Just a thought.

Mpcxl2500

Before you assume the officer changed the citation, you need to do as I'mTheFather suggested and contact the court to ask why there appears to be a difference in the fine.

I should probably point out that attitude can go a loooooong way to mitigating the consequences of any police contact. If the officer is going to cut you a break, it's probably a good idea to at least be cordial and grateful rather than grumpy and silent. Just a thought.
gratitude does go a long way. I am just curious if it is legal to fine someone different than what is on the citation that pleaded guilty to.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I am just curious if it is legal to fine someone different than what is on the citation that pleaded guilty to.
You have no idea why there is a difference until you contact the court so you can't ask that question. There could be surcharges associated with the offense.

CdwJava

gratitude does go a long way. I am just curious if it is legal to fine someone different than what is on the citation that pleaded guilty to.
That depends on WHY. And, as yet, you do not know the "why" of the matter. Find that out, first.

CdwJava

Yes but does anyone know of this is possible?
Most anything might be possible ... additional fees? Penalties? Who knows?

But, you may know when you ask them. When you find out that answer, please let us know and maybe someone will have something for you.

Mpcxl2500

Most anything might be possible ... additional fees? Penalties? Who knows?

But, you may know when you ask them. When you find out that answer, please let us know and maybe someone will have something for you.
I paid total cost due in box 34 before deadline. Does anyone know anything about the law?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">