• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer changed the violation without notice.. Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

6speed8

I received a ticket on Tuesday morning in Grand Prairie - 60 in a 45 zone. Today, I looked into payment options. I called the court and asked about Deferred Adjudication and Defensive Driving. My first ticket in 6 years so I don't want it to effect my clean record. I was told:
- Deferred Adjudication is $25 added to the $300 fine. No tickets for 90 days and this ticket doesn't effect my record.
- Defensive Driving is $114 to the court. Within 90 days I must complete a defensive driving course then submit the certificate and a copy of my driving record to the court. It doesn't effect my record.

As I'm disabled and on a fixed income, Option 2 seems the best lol. Not 5 minutes later, she called me back stating I do not qualify for either because it was a construction zone. I told her my summons clearly shows "Construction Zone/Workers Present - NO". She says the officer entered YES so I cannot. I have to come in prior or on the assigned court date.

I was polite and courteous to the officer. I let him know I was reaching into my pocket for my license and the glove compartment for the insurance card. before I made a move. He thanked me for my courtesy before he walked away. I was calm and courteous the entire time.

So if the officer can change his mind AFTER the fact, How do I know his judgement was spot on when he initially stopped me let alone prior to the stop ? How do I know he didn't in fact clock the silver Mercedes but CHOSE to stop the silver Kia? lol. Any advice ? TIA..

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You have no idea where your speed was measured. You may very well have been inside the zone.

6speed8

You have no idea where your speed was measured. You may very well have been inside the zone.
Well again to my point, by changing his mind AFTER issuing the summons, how sure was he ? If I was within the construction zone, the ticket would have/should have been issued accordingly on the spot. As I am willing to pay a "fine" as I posted, my speed isn't my dispute. My location and the officer's obvious indecisiveness is.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Things like this happen all the time. Maybe it can be attributed to muscle memory when it comes to checking off boxes, or any of a variety of other reasons.

It certainly doesn't indicate "indecisiveness" or inability to measure a particular vehicle's speed.

If you want to make an issue out of it, then good luck in court, but I doubt anything will come of the minor error.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">