• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer lying about LIDAR?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

banjobanjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vermont

I received a bogus speeding ticket for doing 65 in a work-zone marked 50 mph while heading south on I-91. The weird thing is that I was pulled over miles south of any work area. I contested the ticket at my hearing, but the court found me guilty before I could substantiate a defense or even call in my witness (even though they knew she was there; they sent her out of the courtroom seconds prior). Immediately afterward, the clerk said "sorry, you'll have to appeal."

So I'm preparing for the appeal, and have received a copy of the court transcript. The officer claimed to have measured my speed by LIDAR at mile 10 of the highway. I was going south, and entered I-91 about 2 miles south of mile 10. I wasn't even on the highway at the point where I was supposedly captured on LIDAR.

Is this enough of a defense to have this bogus ticket thrown out? I do have a passenger witness, and also I can show that the route from my home to my destination doesn't come anywhere near to crossing the point at which I was supposedly LIDARed. Does that help?

FlyingRon

Your initial hearing on a Vermont violation was most likely at the judicial bureau and the rubber stamping clown you appeared before is not a judge but just the hearing officer. You need to promptly apply the appeal in the normal District Court. You'll need to make a $100 filing fee on that one. You need to decide if you really have any defense. Nothing you've stated is a slam dunk on your side.

Your initial hearing on a Vermont violation was most likely at the judicial bureau and the rubber stamping clown you appeared before is not a judge but just the hearing officer. You need to promptly apply the appeal in the normal District Court. You'll need to make a $100 filing fee on that one. You need to decide if you really have any defense. Nothing you've stated is a slam dunk on your side.
In VT, this "appeal" .. is a de novo trial? My state is somewhat similar with a rubber stamp "guilty" in the first hearing ... I don't even waste my time with arguing, just saying I'm not guilty...and file for the de novo trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">