• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Officer's estimated speed differs from radar

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

adrenaline

I'll keep my finger's crossed. She has a long life ahead.
She was offered an EMT position (ambulance) but after working at a fire department as a paramedic....well....she turned it down....the adrenaline rush was missing. Perhaps as a Law Enforcement Officer you can understand.

FlyingRon

We had a nice stretch of I-95 in our district. Given light traffic we could get our well maintained engines up to 100 MPH. Our ambulance however wouldn't do 90 if it was headed downhill. While weighing only a fraction of the engine, it has a proportionally smaller motor as well.

However, the reason we don't run 100MPH to calls is the same reason why you shouldn't speed. Sure you can be in control of your vehicle (and even be trained to handle it at those speeds), you never know what's lurking around the corner. You only need one dunderhead to freeze up in front of you or not to noticed you are there, or for you to run up on the backup from the accident or whatever that you are responding to, to cause you significant grief.

Part of emergency vehicle training is to learn to moderate your speed in the light of the "heat of the moment" with the lights and siren blaring, and a critical patient in the back or people trapped ahead.

CdwJava

Sw3tflower said:
I'll keep my finger's crossed. She has a long life ahead.
She was offered an EMT position (ambulance) but after working at a fire department as a paramedic....well....she turned it down....the adrenaline rush was missing. Perhaps as a Law Enforcement Officer you can understand.
Well, very often working in an ambulance is the best way to get your foot in the door at a fire department. Working at the local Safeway doesn't usually look as good as keeping your feet wet treating the injured.

And i was never an adrenaline junkie. I knew (and know) a lot of people that are, but I was never one of them. And while I certainly understand that working an ambulance is less thrilling than working on a fire truck, it is usually one of those stepping stones that one must take in that profession.

- Carl

point taken

You're right.....and she hates to admit it, but some time as an EMT is in her future. That 'foot in the door' is important as well as staying in a related field.
Any other advice? She is committed to reaching her goal. A paramedic but not static like working in a hospital. She loves working with the fire department, but is checking out qualifications as a flight medic and also emergency response rescue/wilderness team. ....but she needs someone who can point her in the right direction.

CdwJava

A lot depends on where you might live. I live in the rural heartland, so we have a great many volunteer fire departments where newbies can cut their teeth.

Some of our local professional fireman and paramedics worked as volunteers and as EMT's with an ambulance company before getting hired. Other options have included work at a hospital (not sure in what capacity, but a couple of our firemen work a couple days a week at the hospital in some capacity), paramedic with flight care, and even continuing education in the field.

The more exposure and experience she gets, the better prepared she'll be for interviews and testing. Also, if she has not done so, she needs to get an idea of the physical training requirements for firefighters - they are VERY rigorous. Not all FDs have dedicated paramedic units - mine doesn't. All our fire personnel are paramedics, but they have to be full-fledged firefighters as well, which means they had to pass the entire training academy.

She might also look at putting herself through a local fire academy, or seeing if she can get a job with a department in some lesser capacity while she attends the academy.

There are a lot of options, and it might benefit her to sit down with an instructor at wherever she had her paramedic training to suggest what options are best for her situation and desires, and customized for the situation in your area.

Good luck!

- Carl

CdwJava

PM me with your region (county would be best) and I might be able to point you in the direction of some people that are in the know on this topic.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">