• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Entrapment laws - Speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WSURallivan

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?
Ohio

Here's the situation I was issued a speeding ticket from a sheriff city cop that was completely blacked out, no lights on his cruiser at all. It was in a residential area, 40 in a 25mph zone.

The cop was situated behind some tall bushes/trees and I drove past him and slowed a little bit but wasnt worried because all his lights were off. When he pulled me over he even stated that he was all blacked out, and I asked him why.

He replied with that some departments have the rule that they are required to keep their headlights on, but he wasnt as long as it is in a safe location.

Is this true? I've been told by others that it is a Ohio State law that mandates all police cars to have their headlights on when targeting speeding vehicles.

BelizeBreeze

Unless the cop's gun was cocked and pointed at your head and the imminent threat to your life unless you sped then you have nothing.

Do you honestly think other punks haven't tried this excuse to get out of paying the price for breaking the law?

At least get orgiinal. :rolleyes:

JETX

WSURallivan said:
Here's the situation I was issued a speeding ticket from a sheriff city cop that was completely blacked out, no lights on his cruiser at all. It was in a residential area, 40 in a 25mph zone.

The cop was situated behind some tall bushes/trees and I drove past him and slowed a little bit but wasnt worried because all his lights were off. When he pulled me over he even stated that he was all blacked out, and I asked him why.

He replied with that some departments have the rule that they are required to keep their headlights on, but he wasnt as long as it is in a safe location.

Is this true?
As the officer said, it would be a matter of departmental policy, not a state law. And presumably, the officer would know his own departments policy. Certainly sounds like he was being extremely candid in his answer (he could have just said it was allowed). As such, I see little reason to doubt his statement. Of course, you could contact the local PD and ask them.

I've been told by others that it is a Ohio State law that mandates all police cars to have their headlights on when targeting speeding vehicles.
And what did they say when you said, "Prove it"??

You Are Guilty

Here is your entrapment defense argument for when you go to court. Please let us know how it works out.

"But Your Honor, I wasn't planning on speeding at all until I saw the cruiser with no lights on. I mean, c'mon, that's just an invitation to speed!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">