• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ohio Speeding Ticket...Advice/Help?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NvrEndingLife82

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio, Holmes County specifically.

Ticket: 72 mph in a 55 mph.

The only other item on my driving record was a speeding ticket ~2006. It was simply because I had not seen the speed limit sign that said the speed had been reduced, and that one was a 67 in a 55. The speed limit before the sign I did not see was 65. I simply mailed the fine in because I did not want to have to drive back to VA for a court date.

I do not usually speed. I was on my way home from work, and I started getting symptoms of an oncoming migraine. I took one of my dissolveable migraine tablets as soon as I noticed the oncoming symptoms, but they can take up to an hour to kick in. And when the symptoms hit, I usually have about 20-30 minutes before a full blown migraine hits. I should have pulled over somewhere close by and called a friend to come get me, but I was only about 20 minutes from home, so I was trying to rush home. I got caught by a Holmes County Sheriff. She was nice, but still gave me a ticket, and told me she hoped I got home safe and felt better. I have no issue with her, she was just doing her job.

My reason for coming in here, is that I read somewhere that if you can prove that you were not driving recklessly while speeding and/or not putting yourself or others in danger...you can usually get a speeding ticket dismissed. I am looking for the article I read on this (which cited specific cases of speeding tickets where this applied), but I have not found it yet.

If this is correct, then I feel like I have a very good chance of it getting dismissed. Yes, I had symptoms of the oncoming migraine, but they were not a danger. It is just things I notice not too long before an oncoming migraine (and yes, I am under the care of a neurologist for the migraines), so I know to get ready to deal with it.

So...is there a case for my ticket getting dismissed if I can show I was not being dangerous or reckless, even though I was speeding? The weather was not inclement, the road conditions were fine (no wetness, etc), I know the road very well (drive it about 10 times a week), there was no one driving within any visible distance in front of or behind me (only two cars passed by us while we were pulled over), I never crossed out of my lane or swerved...and I was even able to stop quickly as soon as the officer put their lights on. In fact, the officer rolled down their window, remarked that she wasn't expecting me to be able to pull over so quickly, and asked me to pull up some so they could pull out, go down the road a bit, and turn around so they could get behind me. I had not even driven the distance of 1/3 a football field between the instant their lights come on and I stopped.

Would I be wasting my time arguing this?

Also, I doubt I could prove it, but I am pretty sure the officer did not have their car's running lights on while sitting there. Part of the reason I could pull over so quickly is because I started slowing down the instant they put their lights on. I was literally looking in the direction the cop car was sitting. I only did not see it because they were sitting in a dark parking lot, and only knew they were there once the red/blue lights flipped on. Almost startled me to suddenly see flashing lights where I was looking and expecting only darkness. Lol.

Any and all input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and if I do decide to challenge the ticket, court would be the morning on September 25th.

OHRoadwarrior

No that will not get your ticket dismissed. In fact going to court and arguing you were too medically impaired to drive might cause you more problems.

NvrEndingLife82

No that will not get your ticket dismissed. In fact going to court and arguing you were too medically impaired to drive might cause you more problems.
I was not planning on arguing that I was too medically impaired to drive. I was trying to get home BEFORE I became too medically impaired to drive, thus why I was rushing to get home...and got the speeding ticket.

I was not planning on bringing the migraine up during the court proceeding. I was only providing that here as my reason for speeding. And also trying to show I do not make a habit of speeding, why I also included anything on my past record. The only thing I was going to bring up/argue during the court proceeding was any info/evidence that would support that I was not being a danger or reckless while speeding.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The only thing I was going to bring up/argue during the court proceeding was any info/evidence that would support that I was not being a danger or reckless while speeding.
The speed limit is a per se limit. Danger to others or recklessness plays no part in this.

None of what you said seems to be any justification for speeding.

OHRoadwarrior

Somehow, I do not think the court would expect excessive speeding all the way back to VA, in order to avoid a headache, as reasonable. Logic would dictate obtaining a hotel room or taking a nap in the car.

I was not planning on arguing that I was too medically impaired to drive. I was trying to get home BEFORE I became too medically impaired to drive, thus why I was rushing to get home...and got the speeding ticket.

I was not planning on bringing the migraine up during the court proceeding. I was only providing that here as my reason for speeding. And also trying to show I do not make a habit of speeding, why I also included anything on my past record. The only thing I was going to bring up/argue during the court proceeding was any info/evidence that would support that I was not being a danger or reckless while speeding.

NvrEndingLife82

Somehow, I do not think the court would expect excessive speeding all the way back to VA, in order to avoid a headache, as reasonable. Logic would dictate obtaining a hotel room or taking a nap in the car.
No, my speeding ticket from ~2006 was in Virginia, and was not due to a migraine. I explained what that ticket was for. I did not contest it, and just mailed in the fine because I did not want to go all the way to court in VA to contest it. It would have cost me more in gas and time than the fee.

And in my OP, the ticket I am asking the questions about happened last night, here in OH. I was only 20 minutes from home when my migraine symptoms came on. And when the symptoms start, I have about 20-30 minutes before a full blown migraine will come on. I was trying to get home before that happened.

I will still keep searching for the article I mentioned reading where some speeding tickets have been dismissed because they could show they were not being dangerous/reckless with speeding. If I can find it, I will post the link to it.

OHRoadwarrior

Speeding to get to a headache will likely have you put up for medical review. If you must break the law to continue driving with your medical condition, you may be forced to give up your license.

HighwayMan

I will still keep searching for the article I mentioned reading where some speeding tickets have been dismissed because they could show they were not being dangerous/reckless with speeding. If I can find it, I will post the link to it.
That might be up to the individual judge's discretion and may also depend upon what the actual charge is.

NvrEndingLife82

Other options/questions?

I am having trouble finding the article I mentioned in my OP, and I will not be trying to argue anything like that if I cannot find the info to back it up.

If I decide to go to court...what are the chances or likelihood that the officer would show up to defend/argue the case?

If the officer does show up, and I end up just pleading guilty or being found guilty there (it will be too late to pay ahead by then if the officer shows up)...about how much more would it cost to pay the fine? As in, are the additional charges because I showed up to court and did not just pay the fee before to avoid going to court?

Also, I find the breakdown of the ticket cost, which is written on the back of the ticket...stupid. My "fine" for the speeding was $34, and then there is an additional "costs" of $84. Ridiculous that the "costs" are more than double the actual "fine" for the speeding.

HighwayMan

If I decide to go to court...what are the chances or likelihood that the officer would show up to defend/argue the case?
No one can predict the chances of that. We are not mind readers.

If the officer does show up, and I end up just pleading guilty or being found guilty there (it will be too late to pay ahead by then if the officer shows up)...about how much more would it cost to pay the fine? As in, are the additional charges because I showed up to court and did not just pay the fee before to avoid going to court?
Best to get in touch with the court to get the specifics.

Also, I find the breakdown of the ticket cost, which is written on the back of the ticket...stupid. My "fine" for the speeding was $34, and then there is an additional "costs" of $84. Ridiculous that the "costs" are more than double the actual "fine" for the speeding.
Maybe stupid, but certainly cheap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">