• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

OK for minors to practice driving on private property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WardMan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

CT requires minors to obtain a learner's permit before practicing driving (which means that they must be at least 16). But does this apply to private property?

I understand that the property owners obviously have the absolute right to control what happens on their property, but is it legally prohibited?

I've tried searching for an answer and found none - in fact, that search is what led me to this forum.

Thanks,
Ward

LSCAP

So far, I have never heard of anything different.
As for the owners. It really has to be privately owned property.

That's where I taught my kids.

The only reason I don't say definitely is that some states do have some strange laws.

justalayman

as long as when you say private property, you aren't speaking about something like a parking lot or anything similar. While that is private property, the vehicle codes often apply to such areas.

cyjeff

farm kids have been driving on their land for decades.

If there is pavement or lines, you better think twice.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
In New York (and I think CT is similar) private property can still be considered a public highway - something like a shopping center parking lot.

If the area is private but open to public motor vehicle traffic then most traffic laws apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">