• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Okay, this one's shorter, but I still need help. Please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rumblefrenzy7

In Massachusetts, an officer can pull you over for having any inspection rejection sticker, whether or not it has expired. (they're good for 60 days). From there, he can inspect your car for other violations at roadside, and cite you if neccessary. I was stopped for this last summer, by a 65 year old officer who supposedly saw my sticker from 120 feet away, at night. He strolled around my car for 25 seconds, looking for something illegal, and used VERY thick glasses to determine that my sticker was expired, THEN asked me for my Lic+Reg. If he had something legitimate for which to pull me over, he would have asked for my Lic+Reg before he did anything else. When he wrote out the citation, he didn't even get the make and model of my car correct. This also indicates his poor eyesight/judgement. I have official maps of the intersection which will prove that he could never have seen my sticker, and I intend to use them at my hearing. He also made an illegal turn to pursue me, BEFORE turning on his flashers. Now, I know it's only a $50 ticket, but I am fighting it on principle. My question is this: in court, is it actually a legitimate defense to say that I should never have been stopped in the first place?

V

Vincent Cosent

Nice Job!!

You have a right to any defense you like but if your really asking will the judge be convinced I can tell you that if the judge is around 65 years old and wears glasses your screwed.
As for the cops driving illegally forget it.Remember O J Simpson and how all the cops were tailgating each other and nobody gave them a ticket.Why!!!
And what if the cop tells the judge he pursued you because you fit the discription of a local pimp that is being sought.
Im not saying you cant win in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">