• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old citation keeping license from being reinstated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlylove200

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
I have a "No Operators License" citation from 2002 that is keeping me from getting my license reinstated. The citation was in another county from the one I live in and I did not go to court therefore my license was suspended indefinitely. Now they want me to plead guilty and pay $440 but I refuse because I am not guilty and my license was valid back then. How do I go about getting my license reinstated?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina
I have a "No Operators License" citation from 2002 that is keeping me from getting my license reinstated. The citation was in another county from the one I live in and I did not go to court therefore my license was suspended indefinitely. Now they want me to plead guilty and pay $440 but I refuse because I am not guilty and my license was valid back then. How do I go about getting my license reinstated?
Simple. Go to court and prove that you had a valid license at the time that the citation was issued. That's the ONLY way you are going to be able to avoid the guilty plea. However, you will still have to deal with the "Failure to Appear" charge that is probably a big part of your penalty.

Why on earth, if you had a valid license as you claim, did you not just appear in court almost 10 years ago and take care of it back then? (It's a question that the court will probably ask you as well, so you should be prepared to answer that.)

kimberlylove200

The failure to appear is only 100 dollars. The reason that I did not handle it then was because I was 18 and my family moved, I had no way to get to court. That however is no excuse for why it has taken me so long to handle it. Since my license was suspended indefinitely without my knowledge, like the domino effect I started to get other charges. Driving while license revoked which carries a yr suspension with each charge. At my current age of 28 I know I need to handle it as soon as possible before something else goes wrong. Getting to that state to go to court is my only problem being that my license is suspended. But if all else fails I will just have to pay the $440

FlyingRon

You're not getting anywhere with the "without my knowledge" line. The fact that you had a citation that you failed to pay/appear presumes you to know your license would be suspended as a result.

You have little recourse but to pay the fines for the earlier citations and all the ones that you've acquired since. Your opportunity to challenge or mitigate went out the window when you failed to appear

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">