• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old PA traffic citations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

niece612

This incident and al citations involved happened in Philadelphia, PA.
I lent my car to a friend. While driving it, he was pulled over and the car was impounded. The next day we went down to traffic court, to post the money for the citation we received and the fees for the impound.
When they looked up his name, they found citations dating back to 1990, and informed us that they must be paid as well to regain the vehicle.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but he claims they are not his, and they don't have his DL# or SS# on them. Just his birthday, name and address. Back in 1990 when these citations occurred, he was also a minor.
So I guess my question is this: Is there any way for me to get around these old citations and get my car back? Isn't there a statute of limitations on these types of things as well? I need my car, but neither of us can afford to post all the money they are asking for.
Thanks for any info you can provide.

D

V

Vincent Cosent

Let the police know

that the car belongs to you.If they refuse to return your car then I would speak to an attorney. Im not sure in what circumstances the police can hold your property.If your friend didnt have a drivers liscense or something maybe.And I wouldnt pay his fines either.

N

niece612

Vincent.....

The car does belong to me, and they did have a valid reason for taking it, his license is suspended. And I don't plan to pay the fines - he does.
The only question I really had is about the old citations of his. They are from 1990 - 12 years ago. The police are holding my car on the current citation which was given to him when they took the car, but when I went to court with him so he could pay, and I could get my car, they told us he would have to pay the current citation, along with the 12 year old citation from 1990.
I just don't' understand how they can hold my car for his PRIOR offenses. I mean, after all, there is a statute of limitations on crimes....but he has to pay these 12 year old tickets??
I was just wondering if there is anything I could do about that.
Thanks!

racer72

There is no statute of limitations for traffic ticket fines. And by loaning your vehicle to an unlicensed driver, you assumed the burden of risk if anything happened, which did. Now as you are finding out, because your vehicle was involved in a illegal act, the police have the right to seize the property involved till restitution is made. A lawyer may be able to work out a plan with the court to set up a payment plan with your friend so you can get your car back. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">