• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old registration ticket/suspended license. Any advise please.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandichapin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I got a ticket for driving without registration in November of 2011 (was driving my car to smog station when i got pulled over). Following this ticket I did finally get my car to pass smog and paid my registration up to date. I guess I thought that paying the registration would clear up the ticket through the DMV and I took no further action. Shortly after I sold my car to one of those pick N pull places and moved out of state. I never received any mail notification about the ticket as I never changed my address with the DMV. I am now back in CA and my license is suspended because of this ticket. I called the court and found that I owe almost $700.00. Is there any thing I can do to get this reduced somehow? I paid my registration and no longer have the car and I feel like there should be some way of making this a little easier. Any advice would be helpful thank you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I got a ticket for driving without registration in November of 2011 (was driving my car to smog station when i got pulled over). Following this ticket I did finally get my car to pass smog and paid my registration up to date. I guess I thought that paying the registration would clear up the ticket through the DMV and I took no further action. Shortly after I sold my car to one of those pick N pull places and moved out of state. I never received any mail notification about the ticket as I never changed my address with the DMV. I am now back in CA and my license is suspended because of this ticket. I called the court and found that I owe almost $700.00. Is there any thing I can do to get this reduced somehow? I paid my registration and no longer have the car and I feel like there should be some way of making this a little easier. Any advice would be helpful thank you.
Why should it be reduced? You blew it off.

With that said, I would suggest that you contact the court that issued the ticket so you can find out about appearing. You do still have all the relevant paperwork showing that you did, in fact, register the vehicle as required, right?

ETA: Seems to me that you aren't very forthcoming in this thread: https://forum.freeadvice.com/speeding-other-moving-violations-13/suspended-license-failure-appear-unpaid-tickets-i-need-advice-please-602797.html

mandichapin

Yes I still have documentation of everything from my paid registrstion to all my smog test attempts. I honestly didnt blow it off I was just ignorant as to the process and still am. I really thought I cleared the fix it ticket at the DMV . I did contact the court and the woman told me too much time had passed to do anything other than pay. Thanks for the input.

davew128

Next time you might want to read the courtesy notice you got in the mail as they give VERY clear instructions on how to deal with fix it tickets.

CdwJava

The original cite had a date and time when you were supposed to appear in court. You signed it as apromise to apepar in court in lieu of going to jail. Fixing the registration did not absole you of that responsibility as you have since discovered.

Yes, it seems you will have to pay the fines. PLUS! You will have to reapply for a new license and jump through whatever hoops the DMV might require as well. Just payng ths will NOT automatically reinstate your license.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">