• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Old speeding no-show

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlif

What is the name of your state? New York

I am not a US citizen but 8-10 years ago I was living and working temporarily on Long island, New York. In mid-1996, shortly before I was about to return to Sweden, I got pulled over by a state trooper in upstate NY for speeding. I signed the trooper's paperwork and, upon returning home, I filled out the back of the slip, checking the box that I was pleading guilty and waiving any court appearance. I put the slip in an envelope and mailed it to the court.

I moved home to Sweden and nothing more happened for several months, until a notice appeared, forwarded from my former NY address, that my NY driving license had been suspended for failure to appear in court. Apparently, my "guilty" plea had not reached them (?). As I was not longer a NY resident and thus not eligible to hold a NY license, this was not a major hardship. I heard nothing more from them.

But this unfinished business has been nagging in the back of my head. What if I ever would like to re-visit the US (as a tourist or, possibly, to work again)? Will this be an impediment to my getting a US driving license? Worse? Should I attempt to contact the court in question? Any personal appearance at court is absolutely out of the question, as the travel time (and cost) would be totally prohibitive.

seniorjudge

tlif said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I am not a US citizen but 8-10 years ago I was living and working temporarily on Long island, New York. In mid-1996, shortly before I was about to return to Sweden, I got pulled over by a state trooper in upstate NY for speeding. I signed the trooper's paperwork and, upon returning home, I filled out the back of the slip, checking the box that I was pleading guilty and waiving any court appearance. I put the slip in an envelope and mailed it to the court.

I moved home to Sweden and nothing more happened for several months, until a notice appeared, forwarded from my former NY address, that my NY driving license had been suspended for failure to appear in court. Apparently, my "guilty" plea had not reached them (?). As I was not longer a NY resident and thus not eligible to hold a NY license, this was not a major hardship. I heard nothing more from them.

But this unfinished business has been nagging in the back of my head. What if I ever would like to re-visit the US (as a tourist or, possibly, to work again)? Will this be an impediment to my getting a US driving license? Worse? Should I attempt to contact the court in question? Any personal appearance at court is absolutely out of the question, as the travel time (and cost) would be totally prohibitive.

Q: Will this be an impediment to my getting a US driving license?

A: Yes.

Q: Worse?

A: Jail.

I signed the trooper's paperwork and, upon returning home, I filled out the back of the slip, checking the box that I was pleading guilty and waiving any court appearance. I put the slip in an envelope and mailed it to the court.

Without the payment of the fine, this is a useless piece of paper.

sukharev

It's quite simple, really. Call the court to find out how much you need to pay. Pay it. Get a letter from the court stating that you have paid. Then call DMV to find out what the rest of the process is. Likely: send them request to reinstate your license, together with the copy of the letter stating that the ticket is paid. Probably pay some more fines. Keep all copies of checks/credit card statements/letters/phone bills to prove you have done what is needed to fix the issue. It's likely that this is all you need to do. But, do it because you may not even get a visa next time.

tlif

sukharev said:
It's quite simple, really. Call the court to find out how much you need to pay. Pay it. Get a letter from the court stating that you have paid. Then call DMV to find out what the rest of the process is. Likely: send them request to reinstate your license, together with the copy of the letter stating that the ticket is paid. Probably pay some more fines. Keep all copies of checks/credit card statements/letters/phone bills to prove you have done what is needed to fix the issue. It's likely that this is all you need to do. But, do it because you may not even get a visa next time.
I guess that what I really want to know is: Will I be better off having a US legal council contact the court on my behalf or should I just call them myself?

sukharev

tlif said:
I guess that what I really want to know is: Will I be better off having a US legal council contact the court on my behalf or should I just call them myself?
Call them yourself. You need to speak with the court clerk, who will direct you to appropriate person to talk to. Make sure you get their name and phone number (if they give one out). There is nothing the lawyer can help you with at this point. Just tell them what your question is, and make sure you fully understand their answer.

The goal is for you to pay all the fines outstanding, and make sure you do not have any bench warrants for not showing up. In case there is a warrant, then ask them how to resolve it. That's where you may need a lawyer, but only if you do not have to appear in person. If you do have to show up, such is life, you have no choice. Once again, ask the court what your options are. Please, post here after you have called them, to follow up. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">