• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

old warrant hanging over my head

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redrock

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hello ladies and gentleman,

I was driving back from the airport in my friends car just dropped him off, and i was unaware that he had no tags on his car. he had plates but did not have the little decals that go stating the year that go in the upper corner of the plate. I was pulled over and come to find out my license was suspended (in error). I was living in boston and at the time of suspension which was in 2003 although no suspension was issued. But was in florida at the time of the incident. The cops cite me giving a ticket for driving with a suspended lic.

I had returned home to Boston and drew all the necessary papers that showed my license was suspended in error. And immediately faxed and mailed copies to the Sheriffs dept and paid any fees that i needed to. The officer stated that a court date would have to be maid. I called and spoke with a man who said paying the fees and faxing over the documentation would allow me to avoid court.

I was not going to be back in Florida for some time and such a small case i believe it wasn't worth the courts time. A warrant was soon issued and i called the judges office and spoke with the secretary who told me to send the proper documentation but the warrant still stands.

I received a letter today 7/28/2009, stating that the warrant for a suspended lic still stands and i risk being arrested if i contact and police agency. The bond is only 500$ But i have no record prior to this and have never been in a jail cell in my life. I have been pulled over a few times after for speeding stop lights etc.. warnings have only been issued but none of the cops have told me i have a suspended lic. So I don't know whats going on. Its been almost 5 years and this is still hanging over my head. What can I do to 1. avoid having to bring this to court 2. avoid going to jail. I hope i supplied all information needed. Thank you for you help.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

It is very likely that the warrant was issued due to you Fauilure to Appear in court for the underlying charge of driving on a suspended license. So even if you faxed the proper documentation (that your license has been reinstated) to the court AFTER the schedulled date, you still failed to fulfill your promise to appear in court (since the forms were faxed after your schedulled appearance date). So, to clear the warrant, there are two ways you can do that: you either appear yourself, or you can consult with an attorney who maybe able to appear on your behalf, depending on whether FL laws allow that.

redrock

the warrant wasnt issued until after the court date. I had paid all fees and sent all information regarding the license before the court date because I knew i was not going to be able to make the court date. that was the problem, the guy i spoke with on the phone said it would all be cleared up and no court date would be needed.

Last edited:

I_Got_Banned

the warrant wasnt issued until after the court date. I had paid all fees and sent all information regarding the license before the court date because I knew i was not going to be able to make the court date. that was the problem, the guy i spoke with on the phone said it would all be cleared up and no court date would be needed.
Well, you can argue that you called the court 5 years ago and "the guy " that you spoke to (who's name I'm guessing you don't remember and even if you do, who knows if he's still there) told you that a fax will work as a substitute for your mandatory court appearance.

But to do that as you attempt to clear your warrant, (and although my guess is that excuse will not get you much sympathy from the court), you must either personally appear in court, or consult with an attorney (who is local to the court where you were the warrant was issued).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">