• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This one's good enough to get smacked...*kinda long*

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil_dcb7

What is the name of your state?San Diego, California

Hey guys, first timer, new driver... eh, kinda....

08/08/05, summer vacation and I call up an old friend and we agree to me a few blocks away from my house. I ask my mom

"How far away is Dusk(st.) from our house? What time do you think I'll get there?"

They knew i wanted to meet some one. and my dad says

"Hmm, do you want to take the Honda... I dont want you walking around alone in this neighborhood."

I gladly accepted (i turn 16 in three months, so i obviously don't have a license) knowing the area well enough to drive. My dad has always let me drive the neighborhoodat night. To the store down the street, etc.

now before those who like to flame begin to flame me or my parents,

My mom has a medical condition to where its not safe to drive, so she dosent drive. My dad works 16, hour days, yes... 5 P.M. untill 7 A.M. so he needs his rest. So i would gladly run little errands for them, such as getting my moms medicene from down the street or groceries for her when dad is at work.

Now, our Honda Accord was bought used with NO front license plate.

I was driving down Parkside Ave. towards Alta View. and I see the black and white come to the stop sign to my right. so i changed lanes to the furthest left, to make a left turn onto Alta view... going back to my house because the cop spooked me. I didnt insist on my right of way, so I wave him to go. and he turns left onto Parkside (Facing me). So i make a left onto alta view and try to make it home. As soon as I make the turn, i see he comes back onto Alta View and is one car behind me. So at this point im like "SH*T!" I wasnt speeding, i signaled properly. I'm a pretty good driver. I;ve been doing illegaly for a few years :lol:

Now I make a left onto Omega(the entrance street into my home complex) and the van goes straight. then the cop disregards the stop sign and gets close, but his lights arent on. Once i signal to enter my condo complex (PRIVATE PROPERTY) he turns on his lights when I begin the turn.

So after I complete the turn I pull over to the side of the complex (which we are now in, off of public streets) I stay in the car, sit there, and wait for him to come to the car. Here's what happened and what was said:

Me: "Is there a problem, officer?"

keep in mind, i did not violate any moving traffic laws, I have this fact in the back of my mind...

Him: "Yeah, You got no front License Plate"

now I'm thinking... "Total Bullsh*t...."

Him: "Can I see your license and Registration?"
Me: "Is that really necessary, Officer? I'm not even half a block up the street"
Him: "Yes, sir... It is... Can I see it please?"
Me: "I don't have it with me officer"
Him: "Do you even HAVE a license?"
Me: "No, sir... I dont..."
Him: "Is this your car?"
Me: "No, sir... It's my parents..."
Him: "Do they know you're driving right now?"
Me: "Yes sir, they do..."
Him: "So if I we're to call them, they would know you're out here?"
Me: "Yes sir..."
Him: "Whats your name, son?"
Me: "Danny Duty"
Him: "Now is that your legal birth name? Not Dan, Daniel...."
Me: "It's my legal name sir, I have a school ID if you want to see it..."
Him: "Yes please...."

so i show him my school ID

I give him my home phone number and he goes back to his cruiser.

a few minutes later, my dad pulls up in our other car and the cop asks me to get out of the car and go over to his cruiser.

which is where he makes me sign a Traffic Violation ticket. (traffic was checked)

so on the ticket it says

12500(a) No CDL - Infraction

PC. No front plate

Him: "Now, I'm not going to impound the car, because you're a very respectful young man... However, you're still going to have to appear in traffic court and pay the fine..."
Me: "Is this going to affect me getting a license at 16?"
Him: "I honestly dont know..."

Now, I've never been in trouble with the law, i have no record for taggin or gang baning or stupid sh*t that a lot of other young mexicans do.

What are the penalties for this? Any one know what I am looking at besides a $280 fine? I have a feeling that the judge will probably tear my dad or me, or both a new one... But what else is in store.

folloing the ticket, i promtly got my permit :lol: and started behind the wheel training.

the problem is, i have a school obligation on my court date, my second question is, can i go before the date specified on the ticket? it dosent have a time written on it... And I can not miss school.
Thanks for the advice and your welcome for making you laugh at my families and me's stupidity :lol:

Some Random Guy

getting a permit is nice, but getting a front plate is better.
Court trumps school. Inform the school beforehand.
And I can't believe I read through all of that BS just to hear that the officer just ticketed you for no plate instead of arresting you and towing your car.

lil_dcb7

Some Random Guy said:
getting a permit is nice, but getting a front plate is better.
Court trumps school. Inform the school beforehand.
And I can't believe I read through all of that BS just to hear that the officer just ticketed you for no plate instead of arresting you and towing your car.

hah i warned you fellas it was long. but what do you be by, "trumps school " and to warn them?

Some Random Guy

you say "And I can not miss school." Well missing school is far better than missing court. Try calling the court and trying to get the court date moved to a later date and ask them about the time and what forms of payment are accepted at the courthouse. They will give you a start time for traffic court - but you will have to wait your turn. Expect it to several hours. Bring a parent.

CdwJava

You were lucky ... I would have popped you for the misdemeanor (likely filed as an infraction later), towed the car for 30 days (costing you over $1,000 in San Diego County), and then charged dad for a crime because he allowed you to drive the car.

Consider yourself VERY fortunate! 4 1/2 years ago, it could have been ME stopping you down there. :D

- Carl

lil_dcb7

I had no idea that any one could have been arrested. I know about the car impound thing. hell my dad WORKS and a goverment impound lot. Oh the Ironry, right?

my friend said he was so lienient(sp?) on me because he stopped me in private property...? :confused:

CdwJava

lil_dcb7 said:
my friend said he was so lienient(sp?) on me because he stopped me in private property...? :confused:
The private property issue was irrelevent as the violation occured on the street.

You were just lucky.

- Carl

lil_dcb7

CdwJava said:
The private property issue was irrelevent as the violation occured on the street.

You were just lucky.

- Carl
I am lucky, considdering i called the court eariler today and found out i can just mail in the fine and be done with it. no need to appear :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">