• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ontario Driver Gets Speeding Ticket in State of NewYork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gamept

What is the name of your state? New York

I'm from Toronto Canada, and got a speeding ticket in Buffalo (Niagara Falls N.Y.) doing 73 in a 55 zone. The whole process is strange to me. Apparently I have to mail in my plea before they tell me my fine.

Can anyone tell me whether this is worth fighting or not? Any idea what the fine amount is?

ckumelos

I got a similar ticket years ago in New York

The fine was about $250. It is a certain amount per mile over the speed limit with an initial fine for speeding. Of course I got the ticket 7 years ago, so the fines have probably increased since then. But, a lawyer will cost more than the fine (most likely). You have to also look at the consequences to your insurance (if any in Canada), and your driving record.

lwpat

New York will report the ticket back to Canada and it will appear on your record. You have the options of pleading guilty or not guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">