• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ontario resident speeding tkt in Vermont

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jksyyz

I just received a speeding ticket in Vermont - 78 in a 55 zone. I was caught while passing and the ticket seems totally unfair. Not practical to fight since the 8 hour return trip seems hardly worth it especially since there's no way to tell the outcome even if I did make the trip back.

What happens if I ignore the ticket? Please help. The ticket was nonsense and the cop didn't even allow me the courtesy of a brief explanation.

jksyyz said:
I just received a speeding ticket in Vermont - 78 in a 55 zone. I was caught while passing and the ticket seems totally unfair. Not practical to fight since the 8 hour return trip seems hardly worth it especially since there's no way to tell the outcome even if I did make the trip back.

What happens if I ignore the ticket? Please help. The ticket was nonsense and the cop didn't even allow me the courtesy of a brief explanation.
You need a lawyer, and pretty soon. If there is anything like a non-resident violator compact between Canada and the states, ignoring the ticket would mean revocation of your driver's license. Seems likely there would be a compact of some kind, otherwise VT could exact a bond or collect the fine before releasing you. A Canook lawyer could tell you about the cross-border agreements (this board don't do that), but you'll need a Vermont attorney to carry your traffic case to court....if you don't want to make the long trip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">