• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Oops. Forgot to sign my ticket!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RJLynn

Hi guys. Pennsylvania here... first time poster.

Anyway, got in a really minor fender bender yesterday, and tapped some guy's bumper hard enough to break one of the plastic pins off at the corner so it sags a bit now.

Guy doesn't even wanna call the cops, but has to because its a company car. After 20 minutes of having the cop just write our info down for us (its not a reportable accident), I get a ticket for failure to yeild. Sucks, but fair. However, I never signed the ticket!!

Box 46, Defendant's Signature - Acknowledges Receipt of Citation - sits there, completely blank.

Now, I can't go to court and say I didn't hit the guy. But can I get it tossed because I never signed for my citation?

moburkes

Hi guys. Pennsylvania here... first time poster.

Anyway, got in a really minor fender bender yesterday, and tapped some guy's bumper hard enough to break one of the plastic pins off at the corner so it sags a bit now.

Guy doesn't even wanna call the cops, but has to because its a company car. After 20 minutes of having the cop just write our info down for us (its not a reportable accident), I get a ticket for failure to yeild. Sucks, but fair. However, I never signed the ticket!!

Box 46, Defendant's Signature - Acknowledges Receipt of Citation - sits there, completely blank.

Now, I can't go to court and say I didn't hit the guy. But can I get it tossed because I never signed for my citation?
Nope. It just means that you are acknowledging receipt, not "guilty or not guilty".

RJLynn

Yeah, you're right.

And I'm assuming that if I don't respond to it, they'll just come take care of it the way they don't really need my signature, right?

moburkes

Yeah, you're right.

And I'm assuming that if I don't respond to it, they'll just come take care of it the way they don't really need my signature, right?
I don't really understand your question. Its just a ticket. You either pay it (admit guilt) or go to court and plead not guilty, then get a court date for a trial.

Jim_bo

For most tickets, your signature at the bottom is acknowleging that you promise to appear in court. This is in lieu of you being being detained. If you didn't sign it, there is no written acknowlegement. However, did the cop tell you when to appear? If so, that is acknowlegement. He can testify to that and the judge may hold you to it anyway.

I don't think I'd just ignore it.

Jimbo

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">