• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Opposite Direction Radar Legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mr75mhz

What is the name of your state? California

My question is: In California is two way radar legal? What i mean is, I heard from a reliable source that only certain States tagging you with Radar/Lazer while driving the opposite direction is an illegal method of obtaining your speed. But recently I have heard of people in CA getting taged this way. I was wondering if it became legal, when it became legal, and what Vehicle Code number makes it legal?

If anyone can answer these questions, this would be most helpful. Thank you.

- Kyle

FlyingRon

No law against it, never has been.

Moving radar (either direction) is legitimate. There's no moving LIDAR yet. That's always done with the observer not moving (but it doesn't matter if the car is approaching or retreating).

CdwJava

My question is: In California is two way radar legal? What i mean is, I heard from a reliable source that only certain States tagging you with Radar/Lazer while driving the opposite direction is an illegal method of obtaining your speed. But recently I have heard of people in CA getting taged this way. I was wondering if it became legal, when it became legal, and what Vehicle Code number makes it legal?
The radar that has been most commonly used in CA and by the CHP is the Stalker Dual II. This unit can be set to be used in either mode, and either in moving or stationary mode.

Yes, it is legal. I do not know when it became legal, or if it ever had NOT been legal. And for a host of radar specific statutes, check CVC 40800 - 40808 ...

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=30123410333+0+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

- Carl

Hey There

Radar & Lazer

11-5-07
mr75mhz
Typing in --Fighting a Traffic Ticket --on Google will bring up websites listing the ways speed measured by Radar can be incorrect.
Speed measured by Lazer also can be inaccurate.
If your speed was measured by Rader Chapter 11 (pages 29 thru 31)
in a book on how to fight traffic tickets in Ca. published by NOLO lists
40 questions to ask the police officer at trial.
If your speed was measured using Lazer (pages 31&32) in the same chapter lists 13 questions to ask.
Your local library should be able to help you locate this book.
DISCOVERY
In Ca. Discovery means you can obtain the officer's notes,video (if any), method used to clock your speed, and other information he plans to use in court. The book mentioned above has instructions on how to request Discovery as well as a form that can be copied. The Website Help!I Got A Ticket! has instructions on how to file for Discovery and a simple form that can be downloaded. Websites on how to request Discovery are easily found by typing in (Discovery for Traffic Tickets on Google and clicking away.
Simply put you request information the officer who cited you has from the officer and the D.A. You have a friend hand deliver or mail this request with a proof of mailing. If the officer doesn't reply then you can ask for a court hearing to have the information provided or sanctions inposed up to dismissal of your case.
Trial By Declaration
In Ca. you also have the option of trial by declaration.Instructions for this are in the book , in Help! I Got A Ticket! and other websites.
In Three sentences..You write why your ticket should be dismissed. The officer writes why it shouldn't. The judge decides.
If the judge decides against you, you can request a New Trial.
Regards,
Hey There

D

CdwJava

If you seek discovery, be sure that you do so properly - there is a format and process that must be adhered to for the request to be binding. Sending a letter to the officer or even the agency is not likely to get a response, and such a request would not generally be proper discovery in any event.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">