• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Our city charges $400 extra if you go to court and lose

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

holysmoke99

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I got a speeding ticket for 54 in a 45 with a top speed listed as 58. He says he dropped it to 54 to save me some money.

I looked on the ticket and it says if I ask for a court hearing, I will have to pay a $500 fine. The normal fine is $99 so they charge $401 to have a day in court if you lose.

Nice way to get the sheeple to pay pay pay.

I wanted to explain to the judge that I was speeding past a road rage idiot who opened his window yelling pull over. I guess he thought I cut him off. I thought the sirens were for him swerving at me but he pulled me over, didn't care about my story and said he only saw me speeding not the other guy.

what would you do?

cyjeff

I got a speeding ticket for 54 in a 45 with a top speed listed as 58. He says he dropped it to 54 to save me some money.

I looked on the ticket and it says if I ask for a court hearing, I will have to pay a $500 fine. The normal fine is $99 so they charge $401 to have a day in court if you lose.

I wanted to explain to the judge that I was speeding past a road rage idiot who opened his window yelling pull over. I guess he thought I cut him off. I thought the sirens were for him swerving at me but he pulled me over, didn't care about my story and said he only saw me speeding not the other guy.

what would you do?
I would realize that courts have costs... these are normally referred to as "court costs" and are an normal fee.

cyjeff

what would you do?
As for the rest.... drivers are responsible for their own driving and, usually, cannot base their driving upon the driving of others...

This also covers "driving with the flow of traffic", "weaving around a dog that ran off" and "this other crazy driver made me drive fast."

FlyingRon

I would realize that courts have costs... these are normally referred to as "court costs" and are an normal fee.
Around here, you get charged the court costs whether you go to court or not.
We don't penalize people for their Constitutional rights.

cyjeff

Around here, you get charged the court costs whether you go to court or not.
We don't penalize people for their Constitutional rights.
Notice that the court costs are waived if you win.

Granted, not the way I would do it (seems like WAYYY too easy a thing to take to the appeals court).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">