• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of country ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

summerluv1111

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi!

I live in Michigan and last September I got pulled over 1/2 hour inside Canada for having a radar detector (legal here, totally missed the "warning" sign when I crossed over). The Officer confiscated the ($250!!!!) detector and instead of giving me a ticket - he gave me a court summons. Then he proceeded to tell me "no one actually expects you to show for court - they'll just mail you a ticket."

Yesterday, (6 months later!!!) I got a ticket for $175 in the mail from Canada with a due date of today! It states that failure to pay this fine by the due date may result in Suspension of my driver's licence, informing the Credit Bureau of the debt, and referral to a Private Collection Agency for formal collection proceedings.

Does anyone know if they can actually DO those things and does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should even pay the ticket? (not in a big hurry to ever go back to Canada, so that's not a problem.) And that's $175 Canadian , right?

Thanks in advance!

Summer :)

S

seniorjudge

summerluv1111 said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Hi!

I live in Michigan and last September I got pulled over 1/2 hour inside Canada for having a radar detector (legal here, totally missed the "warning" sign when I crossed over). The Officer confiscated the ($250!!!!) detector and instead of giving me a ticket - he gave me a court summons. Then he proceeded to tell me "no one actually expects you to show for court - they'll just mail you a ticket."

Yesterday, (6 months later!!!) I got a ticket for $175 in the mail from Canada with a due date of today! It states that failure to pay this fine by the due date may result in Suspension of my driver's licence, informing the Credit Bureau of the debt, and referral to a Private Collection Agency for formal collection proceedings.

Does anyone know if they can actually DO those things and does anyone have any advice on whether or not I should even pay the ticket? (not in a big hurry to ever go back to Canada, so that's not a problem.) And that's $175 Canadian , right?

Thanks in advance!

Summer :)

us law only

undergroundthry said:
So if you get caught speeding in Canada, but are a U.S. resident, you do not need to pay the fine?
I think he said the fine was for posessing a particular piece of electronic equipment....contriband across the border.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">