• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out-of-state 12 yr old VA suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

five10man

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? AZ

I was involved in a TC in 1990 while stationed in Norfolk VA. I was cited for causing the collision and for having no insurance. I paid the tickets through the mail and drove only as far as the VA border when I was discharged. My license was and has always been from my home state of AZ; it expires in 2035 (no joke - they sold "lifetime" licenses for a while.)

When I went to renew my license (and got the 2035 license,) AZ was not part of the interstate compact. Since that time, GEICO had sued me in the name of their insured and won in absentia, all without notifying me. VA suspended my privilege to drive (I never had a VA license.) In 1998, when I got a ticket, AZ had become part of the compact and I became "canceled" - like my license never existed. I got my license back by making payments for six months and paying a stack of fees in '99, but I fell behind, and now have the SOS since I changed my address and AZ checked with VA recently.

The question, now: Does anyone know how long VA and/or GEICO's lawyers can hold this twelve-year-old crap against me? Is there any statute of limitations? AZ traffic law (title 28) is on line, but I can't find anything like that for the state of confusion. I'm hoping there's a law or process that can be used to my advantage, since no one was hurt, possibly excepting a .00000003 cent drop in GEICO's shares from the uncollected $4000.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">