• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

out of state, don't have driving record

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newuser4321

What is the name of your state? - va offense, pa license

Hi,

I have a reckless driving charge in VA. I'm from PA but go to school in TN; I'm not going to be able to get my driving record before the trial date because I will not be home. If you're out of state, are you required to have your driving record?

seniorjudge

newuser4321 said:
What is the name of your state? - va offense, pa license

Hi,

I have a reckless driving charge in VA. I'm from PA but go to school in TN; I'm not going to be able to get my driving record before the trial date because I will not be home. If you're out of state, are you required to have your driving record?
Q: If you're out of state, are you required to have your driving record?

A: Yes.

seniorjudge

newuser4321 said:
How do I go about getting it, then?
Ask for a continuance of the trial till a later date, citing necessary info is not yet available and tell the judge why it is not available and document how you ordered it, etc.

newuser4321

If found guilty to the point of serving jail time on a 94/65, does anyone know how much to expect? It's a reckless speeding only. I'm out of state, didn't know the law. I have one prior speeding offense on record, an 86/55 for which a 15 day suspension is shown as pending on the driving record (this is from a year ago). How much would hiring a good lawyer help (i.e. best I can find)? How much would taking a voluntary driver's course help?

If receiving jail time, can this be served on weekends? What type of jail will I enter?

Last edited:

newuser4321

I meant what will the security be like. What type of jail do reckless driving violators go into? Is like like the drunk tank?

seniorjudge

newuser4321 said:
I meant what will the security be like. What type of jail do reckless driving violators go into? Is like like the drunk tank?
Regular jail; you don't get special treatment.

sukharev

OK, Give him a break, will ya :mad:

To start with, first court date is just an arraignment. You can negotiate or enter a plea of not guilty. They may reduce it to a speeding ticket and the fine of $500 to $600, or improper driving if "the degree of culpability is slight."

There is plenty of good advice on this forum about VA reckless charge, seems like a common problem in that state. I wonder how many people actually got jail time, this is a harsh punishment and would overload the jail system quickly if everybody convicted for reckless due to speeding alone gets jail time.

Here are a few good links:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=540976
http://www.boselawfirm.com/reckless.html

Of course, the best way to go is to get a lawyer, rather than loosing sleep over it.

newuser4321

Thanks a ton for the assistance.

I called a bunch of attorneys so far; predictions seem hard to come by.

Does anyone know the type of places to search for in order to get my vehicle calibrated? I've searched without luck thus far.

seniorjudge

newuser4321 said:
Thanks a ton for the assistance.

I called a bunch of attorneys so far; predictions seem hard to come by.

Does anyone know the type of places to search for in order to get my vehicle calibrated? I've searched without luck thus far.
Unless you want a ticket for driving a mechanically-defective car, don't get it calibrated (which does not help you in a speeding charge). You were either speeding or not speeding...calibration notwithstanding.

newuser4321

update:

just got off the phone with an atty.

he told me in this county, there's no chance of jail time for an out of state citizen. he also told me he'll be able to allow me to keep my license w/o suspension on this charge. only thing i'll be facing is (an assumedly huge) fine.

from what others know, does this sound accurate? specifically, that, since i can have the atty appear instead of me for the trial, that there is no way they'd extradite me into their state to serve a jail term?

sukharev

newuser4321

i talked to a second atty who told me mostly the same thing (this one said no jail time here since out of state, possibility of suspension, though he didn't specify what the chances were, and a huge fine).

in this case, how would probation affect my ability to travel? i am supposed to study in Italy this summer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">