• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Expired Registration [Arizona]

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uawildcat25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I have a valid GA auto registration, and was stopped in Phoenix, AZ.

I was stopped in Phoenix, AZ and without knowing, I gave the officer an old proof of insurance and an old auto registration (from my sun visor). When he returned 10 minutes later, he told me the info I gave him was expired and had a ticket ready for me to sign. I was sure my registration was current and I knew for sure my insurance was current, I just didn't know where the current info was at that moment, and I didn't want to hold the officer up from more important matters, so I went ahead and signed the ticket. The next day, I found my current proof of insurance at home, and my current proof of registration was "buried" in my glove compartment.

When the officer returned with the ticket for me to sign, he said that he stopped me because my registration had expired. My tag (license plate) had sticker(s) that said that it didn't expire until Apr 2009.... and my registration hadn't expired (as the officer had claimed). I just accidentally gave him the wrong info. I find this to be very strange. Don't you??

When I was stopped, the officer only asked 2 questions. "How long had I been in Arizona? Did I have any drugs in the car?"

After the officers left, my black roommate said that he had waved at some people we had passed that were standing at an intersection when we were stopped at a red light. [I'm white.] He thinks that is why were stopped.

I went to court today in hopes that both charges would be dismissed after I showed proof that my insurance and registration is current. The judge dismissed the "No Proof of Insurance," but only set another court date for the registration because it is a CRIMINAL traffic offense. The ticket is in violation of AZ code 28-2322.

Arizona Revised Statutes §28-2322**License plate requirement for nonresident's foreign vehicle - Arizona Arizona Revised Statutes §28-2322**License plate requirement for nonresident's foreign vehicle - Arizona Code :: Justia
Arizona Revised Statutes §28-2326**Acceptance of rights and privileges; appointment for service of process - Arizona Arizona Revised Statutes §28-2326**Acceptance of rights and privileges; appointment for service of process - Arizona Code :: Justia
AZ - Traffic Code Questions [Archive] - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com

When I go back to court for this (on 12/16/2008), I do expect the prosecutor to dismiss it. If he doesn't I hope to convince the judge to dismiss it. What do you think??

I don't know if the previous facts or the wording of the violation will help my case or not. It says "out of state expired registration," not "NO PROOF of registration." What do you think???

I would appreciate any advice that you can give to me. Thank you for reading this.

Angelo
Scottsdale, AZ

This is the court house dealing with my case.
City of Phoenix Municipal Court
300 W. Washington St.
Phoenix, AZ 85003What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

uawildcat25

AZ Statute 28-2322

Arizona Revised Statutes §28-2322 License plate requirement for nonresident's foreign vehicle:

"A person shall not operate a foreign vehicle owned by a nonresident on a highway and a nonresident owner shall not knowingly permit the foreign vehicle to be operated on a highway unless there is displayed on the vehicle the license plates assigned to the vehicle for the current registration year by the state or country of which the owner is a resident."

Interesting!!! This seems to focus on the license plate.... or so it seems to me.

The Occultist

First, call your local DMV and see whether or not there was any lapse in your registration status. Perhaps you missed an insurance payment, and your insurance company contacted the DMV and thus they "expired" your tags; check with them to see if anything like that has happened.

Otherwise, all you can do is show up to court with proof that you are indeed in compliance with the law. In AZ, I have personally seen people get charges dismissed with such proof, and the large majority of the rest see a decrease in their fines/fees.

uawildcat25

Everything's up to date!

I know my insurance didn't lapse because I pay it every 6 months in Feb/Aug. I remember paying it in July of 2008. They also sent me a new proof of insurance card, I just hadn't put it in my car yet (but I thought I had). In the small town (or village) where my car is registered, everyone's renewal comes at April every year. I know I took care of that in April 2008, especially since I have those stickers on my plate.

None of this should really matter anyway. The officer wrote that I was in violation of statute 28-2322, which has to do with the license plate, and the stickers should have been enough PROOF of reigistration, which meant that he should have only pulled me over if the stickers had already expired. If he wanted to charge me for having no "paper" PROOF of registration, he should have used a different statute (if there is one). Do you agree??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">