• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of State Moving Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woverholt

What is the name of your state? OH

I am looking for suggestions on the best way to proceed with a recent speeding ticket. I am a currently a resident of Ohio and will be a resident of NY on March 31st.

Recently, I was in NY on a trip and received a speeding ticket, 46 in a 30 zone. I gave the office my Ohio license and have a court date for April 18th. I research the internet and saw that neither Ohio or NY share information regarding moving violations with each other.

So, my question is should I just plead guilty and pay the fine before I move or wait until I get there and at my court date, try and get the ticket reduced. I am also curious as to whether this would affect my car insurance when I apply in NY.

Any thoughts would be welcomed!
Thanks.

lwpat

Usually the best procedure in New York State is to plead not guilty and ask for a deposition (see the back of the ticket). Usually they will notify you of a pre-trial conferance and you can do this by phone and negotiate a reduction.

The only problem is that I am getting reports of NY charging out of state drivers the $300 ticket surcharge. I don't think this is legal but would like some input if anybody has any information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">