• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of state Red Light Tix NY/NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in NY Ticket in NJ.

I visited someone in NJ. I was under the impression that it was right on red UNLESS posted (unlike NY where it is the reverse). I got a red light ticket for this. I recieved the ticket today, first class regular mail. It says to pay the fine by 10/31 or make my defense 7 days before this due date. I would have liked to fight this as the intersection doesn't have a no turn on red sign but I don't have the time according to this notice. Is there anyway to still contest this or once the 31st comes up with no payment/letter will I automatically be hit with more fines, etc? The violation date on the ticket is 08/31/2011 but again only recieved this today (10/26).

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Yes, New York City is the only place in the country where right-on-red does not apply.

You probably did not come to a complete stop, as required, before making the turn.

asiny

Was the ticket from a camera?
but I don't have the time according to this notice.
Last time I checked, you still have 4 days to go back to the intersection to take photographs to show there was no 'no-right-on-red' allowed sign posted.. Then goto court with the letter- which will show when it was mailed to you (more than likely last week or this week) and that you could not meet the courts 7-day defence requirement and then appeal the citation.

"Was the ticket from a camera?" Yes and there is a video too. I went to the website to watch the video, and it clearly shows no signs on that corner at all or on the light post.

Last time I checked, you still have 4 days to go back to the intersection to take photographs to show there was no 'no-right-on-red' allowed sign posted..
Then goto court with the letter- which will show when it was mailed to you (more than likely last week or this week) and that you could not meet the courts 7-day defence requirement and then appeal the citation. "

The ticket was signed by an office on 10/24. I am not local right now to go back to NJ, I won't be back until 11/2. My hubby opened the ticket and scanned it to me. Should I still go when I get back?

"You probably did not come to a complete stop, as required, before making the turn. " I did as shown on the video. I work a lot in NJ so I know to completely stop first.

asiny

The ticket was signed by an office on 10/24. I am not local right now to go back to NJ, I won't be back until 11/2. My hubby opened the ticket and scanned it to me. Should I still go when I get back?
I would contact the court, immediately (overnight mail), to advise them that you are out-of-state, cannot be back until xxx date- you would also have to provide proof of this, that you are pleading NOT GUILTY and wish to appear. 2 things can then happen; 1) they find you guilty and order you to pay - which you can still appeal or 2) they allow it and reissue you a court date.
"You probably did not come to a complete stop, as required, before making the turn. " I did as shown on the video. I work a lot in NJ so I know to completely stop first.
It has been discussed, at length, how a driver feels they come to a complete stop when they are rolling by centimeters, which does not mean a complete stop. Was this the case here or did the camera show that you vehicle ceased from movement- and did not just 'momentarily pause'. A complete stop is defined as the vehicle will lean forwards, then settle backwards with the wheels in a locked position and is no longer advancing. Not leaning forwards, then- as it settles backwards you release the brake.
How wide was the camera shot?
Could the 'no right turn on red' sign have been set further back from camera view?
What intersection was this and what township?

HighwayMan

Was the ticket from a camera?

Last time I checked, you still have 4 days to go back to the intersection to take photographs to show there was no 'no-right-on-red' allowed sign posted..
Where do you get THAT from?

asiny

Where do you get THAT from?
Damn, I seem to be doing this more and more lately. To clarify, between 10/26 to 10/31 is 4 days (business days). Meaning the OP still could accumulate their argument against the citation and appear in court on 10/31 to plea not guilty.
I recieved the ticket today (10/26), first class regular mail. It says to pay the fine by 10/31 or make my defense 7 days before this due date. I would have liked to fight this as the intersection doesn't have a no turn on red sign but I don't have the time according to this notice.

It has been discussed, at length, how a driver feels they come to a complete stop when they are rolling by centimeters, which does not mean a complete stop. Was this the case here or did the camera show that you vehicle ceased from movement- and did not just 'momentarily pause'. A complete stop is defined as the vehicle will lean forwards, then settle backwards with the wheels in a locked position and is no longer advancing. Not leaning forwards, then- as it settles backwards you release the brake.
How wide was the camera shot?
Could the 'no right turn on red' sign have been set further back from camera view?
What intersection was this and what township?
It was a complete stop. It had to be, there was a truck in front of me and he stopped as well. Not to be mean I don't trust this right on red or Jersey drivers so I always stop completely. I also make sure no one is crossing, etc. I guess it's possible the sign was way, way back. This happened in Linden NJ at N Stiles Street. I am sure Linden made a killing cause the video shows the truck, me, and the SUV behind me all making a right on red.

The letter specifically says "you must notify the court at least 7 days before your scheduled pay by date" but I will mail off a CRR letter saying I am pleading not guilty. I do have my departure and return tickets so I can show that as proof I am out of town.

Now worse case, can they suspend my NY DL for not paying this? I know in NY after tickets reach $350 they can/will tow your car not sure how it works in NJ.

Thanks guys!!!

HighwayMan

It was a complete stop. It had to be, there was a truck in front of me and he stopped as well.
That's ridiculous. You stopping 30 feet back from the intersection because a truck was stopped in front of you is NOT stopping as required.

If there is a line of vehicles at the red light waiting to make the right turn they must EACH stop at the required stopping point (stop line, crosswalk, etc).

HighwayMan

Now worse case, can they suspend my NY DL for not paying this? I know in NY after tickets reach $350 they can/will tow your car not sure how it works in NJ.
It has nothing to do with towing cars. And that $350 is in New York City for parking tickets.

Yes, you may very well end up with a suspended license if you ignore this ticket or fail to pay it after being found guilty.

That's ridiculous. You stopping 30 feet back from the intersection because a truck was stopped in front of you is NOT stopping as required.

If there is a line of vehicles at the red light waiting to make the right turn they must EACH stop at the required stopping point (stop line, crosswalk, etc).
I just meant I know I stopped completely, is all!! Since I am not used to the right on red I ALWAYS stop at a red light. I always check to make sure I am clear before turning. It also was not "30 feet from the stopping point"!

"And that $350 is in New York City for parking tickets" Not just parking..red light, cell phone, expired tags, etc.

AGAIN...the video provided by the township shows I did stop, didn't show signs saying not to turn, others turned too.

Listen, if I am found guilty fine I can't change that BUT I would like a chance to fight this first and think it stinks to send me a ticket with just 4 business days to reply. I was asking if I still have a chance to fight the ticket even though I got the ticket after their required 7 day rule. It was signed on the 24 so even counting that day I had less than 5.
I have had a impeccable record for 15+ years and just don't want to mess my license up.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

"And that $350 is in New York City for parking tickets" Not just parking..red light, cell phone, expired tags, etc.
I don't know where you get your information from, but that is wrong.

I have had a impeccable record for 15+ years and just don't want to mess my license up.
The only way it will mess your license up is if you don't answer the ticket.

Just plead not guilty and follow the adjudication procedure.

asiny

This happened in Linden NJ at N Stiles Street.
What intersection was this? N Stiles and ?
Where is this "4-day Rule" specified?
I never said their is a 4-day rule, just based off what the OP posted;
It says to pay the fine by 10/31 or make my defense 7 days before this due date.
This would give her 4-days from the date she received the notice to the due date.
The letter specifically says "you must notify the court at least 7 days before your scheduled pay by date" but I will mail off a CRR letter saying I am pleading not guilty. I do have my departure and return tickets so I can show that as proof I am out of town.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">